Yellow/white/clear discharge from vent - Sick chicken?

speak1074

Chirping
Nov 16, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Hello everyone,

I have a six-month-old Americauna who has turned up with a large wet spot below her roosting spot in the coop. This morning she gooed on me when I reached in to open the coop door. It was very thing with yellow and white in it. No odor. The wet spot has been there for about a week. I thought it was just moisture from the vent in the ceiling of the coop, but now I'm pretty sure it's from Ava. She doesn't seem right. Puffed up and isolating herself. She gets down from her roost ever day and goes straight to the food dish and then drinks a bunch of water. She has always done this and is still doing it, but just now I was watching her peck at some food on the ground and it looked to me like she wasn't really eating. Like she was just doing it for show. She has been laying for a few weeks, and she layed an egg yesterday that was completely normal. He abdomen is soft and she doesn't seem to have lost any weight. Doesn't feel boney or anything. What do you all suppose is up?

Hello everyone,

I have a six-month-old Americauna who has turned up with a large wet spot below her roosting spot in the coop. This morning she gooed on me when I reached in to open the coop door. It was very thing with yellow and white in it. No odor. The wet spot has been there for about a week. I thought it was just moisture from the vent in the ceiling of the coop, but now I'm pretty sure it's from Ava. She doesn't seem right. Puffed up and isolating herself. She gets down from her roost ever day and goes straight to the food dish and then drinks a bunch of water. She has always done this and is still doing it, but just now I was watching her peck at some food on the ground and it looked to me like she wasn't really eating. Like she was just doing it for show. She has been laying for a few weeks, and she layed an egg yesterday that was completely normal. He abdomen is soft and she doesn't seem to have lost any weight. Doesn't feel boney or anything. What do you all suppose is up?
Well, first of all, she may be going broody. Broodys have odd droppings...If it was white and yellow, I was thinking she may have a broken egg stuck in her oveduct, but since she has been laying since it does not sound like it...Has she been acting very different from the other chickens? does she seem stressed? look for swelling anywhere or any signs of pain. Also, Is she walking like a penguin?
Hope this helps!
Marie

Well, first of all, she may be going broody. Broodys have odd droppings...If it was white and yellow, I was thinking she may have a broken egg stuck in her oveduct, but since she has been laying since it does not sound like it...Has she been acting very different from the other chickens? does she seem stressed? look for swelling anywhere or any signs of pain. Also, Is she walking like a penguin?
Hope this helps!
Marie

Not stressed, per se, but annoyed or uncomfortable maybe. No swelling or signs of pain, not walking like a penguin... She's keeping to herself, which I guess she has been doing since her friend, Una, had to be put down. (Una and Ava were purchased at the same time from the same supplier and grew up together. Peas in a pod. Very sad situation. I think Una had meriks, but I'm not completely certain about it. She lost the use of one leg and then the other. She seemed fine other than that, but then her legs were splayed. One sticking out in the front, one in the back. Merik's was all I could come up with. After a week she didn't improve at all and I made the decision to help her out of her misery.) I've been worried about her since that day (about two weeks ago), but I just noticed the puffed up thing a couple of days ago... It has absolutely zero odor and I think I'm seeing normal droppings under her roost as well as the wet spot in the sand. I'll make sure in the morning...

I just posted a rather lengthy bit about my bird, Penny, who seems to have some of these similar symptoms. I also thought the wet spot was from the roof, but it's from the hen. I wish you luck with her - I hope we can get the information we need to help these gals out.

Not stressed, per se, but annoyed or uncomfortable maybe. No swelling or signs of pain, not walking like a penguin... She's keeping to herself, which I guess she has been doing since her friend, Una, had to be put down. (Una and Ava were purchased at the same time from the same supplier and grew up together. Peas in a pod. Very sad situation. I think Una had meriks, but I'm not completely certain about it. She lost the use of one leg and then the other. She seemed fine other than that, but then her legs were splayed. One sticking out in the front, one in the back. Merik's was all I could come up with. After a week she didn't improve at all and I made the decision to help her out of her misery.) I've been worried about her since that day (about two weeks ago), but I just noticed the puffed up thing a couple of days ago... It has absolutely zero odor and I think I'm seeing normal droppings under her roost as well as the wet spot in the sand. I'll make sure in the morning...
I have heard that lethargic hens get yellow droppings...Does she show any other signs of lethargy?
also, this may help,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/runny-chicken-poop.531823/
and this,
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
She may have worms...
Hope this helps!
@FaerieChickens
I hope this helps you too!
Marie

If it turns out she does have worms, I do know a solution, which is all natural. It is the nasturtium flower. It is a natural de-wormer and it is a laying stimulant.

Back
Top Bottom