Yes, another mouse post

Hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed by some people, but I'm not a fan of barn cats either. I've kept cats for years and I currently have two indoor cats, but no more barn cats for me. They kill way to many birds and other critters I don't want killed, they roam around and get killed by coyotes or fight with other roaming cats and get abscesses and other wounds, one of my cats came down with FIV, it's just one thing after the other with outdoor cats. They also attract stray and feral cats who then spray all over the place. Nope, not for me. And I still had mice!

In years of rural living I have on two occasions resorted to poisoning mice to get on top of a population explosion. Worked like a charm both times but I really prefer to avoid that. These days I keep a few of those electric Rat Zapper traps set all the time. Certain times of the year I catch mice every night, haven't had any for a while now. I like them because they are a quick, humane kill and easy to dispose of the dead rodent. I also like the bucket traps.

Hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed by some people, but I'm not a fan of barn cats either. I've kept cats for years and I currently have two indoor cats, but no more barn cats for me. They kill way to many birds and other critters I don't want killed, they roam around and get killed by coyotes or fight with other roaming cats and get abscesses and other wounds, one of my cats came down with FIV, it's just one thing after the other with outdoor cats. They also attract stray and feral cats who then spray all over the place. Nope, not for me. And I still had mice!

In years of rural living I have on two occasions resorted to poisoning mice to get on top of a population explosion. Worked like a charm both times but I really prefer to avoid that. These days I keep a few of those electric Rat Zapper traps set all the time. Certain times of the year I catch mice every night, haven't had any for a while now. I like them because they are a quick, humane kill and easy to dispose of the dead rodent. I also like the bucket traps.
Post a pix of the Electric Rat Trapper. Sounds like an Excellent one. Just keeps Working and Working non stop.

I have the bait stations for mice and rats, since the pelleted bait is no longer available. Not one of them has been touched. I even smeared peanut butter on the rat bait. They licked it off but left the bait intact. I've had luck with the plastic snap traps as long as they don't malfunction. I can't wait to try the bucket trap. Hehehe.

My order isn't closed yet on Amazon - I'll check that out. Seems better than the multi-mouse traps - they got some pretty dark reviews for suffer-factor.

Can't stand the thought of them suffering in the
sticky trap either.
Went for the kill all at once plan.
bought 8 plastic big spring traps and had
the wooden ones and set them all
so no one would get away.
Three in one night.
Still at it tho.

Went out to do the usual late afternoon turn the bedding routine (deep litter) and nothing unusual - until I decided to do a quick swipe with the pitchfork underneath a small ledge that is formed where the nesting boxes connect to the coop. Well - 3 gray mice, one at a time, quickly exited the coop by way of the run door. Three. Full sized. Adults. So now I know where they've been hiding.

So I had to clean the coop - all of it (as best as I could anyway... it is 20 degrees outside so running water wasn't an option). I kicked the girlfriends out, raked everything out and removed it to a pile of tree scraps way in the back of the property. I sprayed down the rest as best I could and then my husband stuffed a bunch of junky old lumber scraps into the hidey-ledge. They won't be sleeping there any more. So, worried that the whole deep litter method has been shot (no rotting chicken stuff in there to keep them warm) I gave them a throw of meal worms and corn (to get them digging and hopefully heating the coop up a bit tonight. The low is (only) supposed to be 9 degrees tonight and with the deep litter method plus a window we installed on the south side of the coop, it's been staying a good 10-15 degrees warmer inside than outside. They may be chillier tonight than in the past.
sad.png

Hubby's setting up the death machine (5 gallon bucket trap) as I type this.

The mice are relentless. I live in the city so I don't have a lot of the other wildlife you all do.
I poison. My garage is very near our coop so I keep the poison in there. I am going to check out that terminator thing. Friends of ours trap,the mice and feed them back to the chickens. Just an idea to reduce feed cost.

I have heard that chickens will catch mice but I think mine are too well fed. I have found a well pecked rat before in the coop, that's when I moved poison to garage.

You can use windshield washer fluid in the bucket trap in winter....or RV antifreeze(non toxic).

I've had good luck with these, nice not to have to touch the 'dirty parts' and very easy to set.

Couple tips on traps.
Only put a tiny bit of bait, I use chunky peanut butter and cram a piece of peanut into the trigger hole, make em work for it and more likely to trip it.
Put bait end of trap against a wall or tall flat surface like a box or something so they can't back away, I got a much better catch rate doing that.

I keep traps set all the time in my garage and 3 sheds, one shed holds the chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom