Yes, sometimes I have to learn the hard way.

Craig Cowan

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Well, over the last 4 months or so, I have been dragging my feet ( mostly because of expense), with biting the bullet & getting the electric fence.
I let the ladies out when I’m home during the day, & usually I am in & out enough, that I figured it would deter most predators, except
for Hawks.
This past Saturday, a Red Fox snuck up, , killed 2 , wounded a third. I ran at the fox, & he dropped the bird.
needless to say it was very traumatic for the girls.
But I have to admit, I was a little surprised at how it shook me up - all day , both my wife & myself were kinda “ out of it”
So, now I’ve learned my lesson. First, based on discussions with other bird owners, they recommended doing my best to dispatch
the one culprit, because they explained , once they have a taste - they’ll keep coming back.
Then, a call to the fence company - I think it’s Premier, but if anyone has any suggestions, or other fence types I would be very appreciative.
Best Regards
Craig

Well, over the last 4 months or so, I have been dragging my feet ( mostly because of expense), with biting the bullet & getting the electric fence.
I let the ladies out when I’m home during the day, & usually I am in & out enough, that I figured it would deter most predators, except
for Hawks.
This past Saturday, a Red Fox snuck up, , killed 2 , wounded a third. I ran at the fox, & he dropped the bird.
But I have to admit, I was a little surprised at how it shook me up - all day , both my wife & myself were kinda “ out of it”
So, now I’ve learned my lesson. First, based on discussions with other bird owners, they recommended doing my best to dispatch
the one culprit, because they explained , once they have a taste - they’ll keep coming back.
Then, a call to the fence company - I think it’s Premier, but if anyone has any suggestions, or other fence types I would be very appreciative.
Best Regards
Craig
If you want to keep hawks out, just put netting over the run.

I use poultry fencing by Premier, and it works ok, just an FYI, snow, leaves etc. will make the fence voltage go down, so you need to baby the fence in order for it to run at full voltage- when it does, it's awesome- except for the instance that you accidentally touch it (I know since I once accidentally put my hand on my fence).

coyotes and foxes are VERY common in my area, and I use these products:

Predator Eye Night Time Repeller This is a red light that flashes all night long. It is solar powered and turns on (automatically) at night. It makes predators think that there's danger, since it looks like an eye

Predator Tape This is shiny tape (that looks like the back of a CD) moves in the wind and reflects off of sunlight, during the day. This is good for deterring ground and sky predators

Flood Lights: I have no link for this, I just use flood lights on my barns/coops since (fox-like) predators like darkness and light will deter them.

Hope this helps :)

I don't know what time is available to you, your general health/physical ability, and existing perimeter condition, but its entirely possible to set up your own electric fence in a reasonable period of time, at not huge expense.
Yeah, it’s really not very expensive and pretty easy to do. Admittedly I have not done it, simply because of the electrical box. I cant figure out exactly what wattage I need, but I’m not in dire need of doing it as I have an enclosed run in the city.

Do you have an available electrical outlet??? In a sheltered location, with access to your grounds? If so, You have all you need. Now if your closest outlet is on the exterior of your home, and its several hundred feet from your desired fence in every direction, that would prove more challenging - and you might want (or your local political entity of city/county/etc might require) an electrician.

I have a plug in to AC charger rated for 30 miles. Cost me less than $100. Keep in mind, those ratings are very generous. It powers 3 strings, so 30/3 = 10 miles. And I have low grasses and other things that bleed voltage. So 10 mi / 4 (guestimate) = 2.5 miles. My fence actually runs about 1/2 mile, at around 7,000 volts, delivering 1.2J (theoretically) of shock.

Get's my attention, it does. My dogs, too. My chickens, not as much - feathers are a real good insulator.

The rest of my set up was $600 or $700 in wire, insulators, ground rods, etc.

for Hawks.
Best Regards
Craig
So sorry you have to deal with loss of flock members i know mine are family and it crazy sucks ok back to helping it not happen again I swear by the hot pepper trick you take the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and crush them especially the seeds put it around your coop and run and it will deter land based predators like fox coyotes raccoons opossum rats snakes

Thank you all.
Well, maybe I have what’s necessary.
First, I “ think” I am fit enough to do it. The Avatar you see on my page- I put together & built this spring/ summer.
I have 2 separate 20 amp circuits run to the coop &run.
so, I just gotta do some homework on how to do it.
Im more of a construction guy,not electrician.
The premier stuff runs about 8 to 900 with everything
maybe 1000 with tax.
So if I can do it for less - it would be great.
I have approx. 1/2 acre I’d like to enclose.
Thanks again
Craig

Premier has very good products, and excellent advice, online and by phone. @Howard E and @cmom have lots of experience, pictures, and advice on this site. Look them up too!
You want a charger that packs a good punch! We have horses and cattle, and use electric rope on top of the horse fencing, and electric for part of the cattle fencing, and it smarts when touched, as it should.
General advice; get a fence tester, and check it fairly often. Never have it off, unless you are actually working on it. Try baiting it at first, so your fox friend gets stung!
The electrified poultry netting is very nice, but a three strand or better fence will be less expensive to set up.
Mary

I use the poly rope wire too. I have a good charger on it so when I have accidentally touched it I know it. I can imagine what a 4 footed predator would feel. I know my wires have been tested in the past by predators and once is enough. I had a persistent fox that I finally caught and eliminated. It killed my special bird during the day one day. I baited the traps for a few days and let it take the bait then set the trap, bingo. Good luck...
DSCF0012 20.jpg
DSCF0010 03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom