Yesterday was kind of a bummer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pineywoods Peepers, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Even though the peepers got to check out their new home yesterday, I still had kind of a sad day yesterday.

I got up that a.m. and took the chicks out to their exercise pen (the coop wasn't quite ready). One of my Welsummers didn't fly out of the crate like all the others. Picked her up and she was very light, cold, and her crop was empty. She was lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink anything, and her breathing was labored. I just knew she'd be gone by lunch. And she was. I don't know what was wrong with her. She'd been a fairly healthy bird up til that point, and I didn't notice any of the Wellies behaving oddly the evening before. I'm watching the rest of the crew to make sure they don't get sick too, but so far they're good.

We also had to cull my poor little cross beaked EE. She was so pitiful looking. Always trying to eat, but I guess she wasn't getting much sustenance, because she was tiny. The Silkies had outgrown her, and her feathers looked like an oversized suit on her.

Then the dang bully kept bullying when I tried to put her back with the other chicks, so I thought I was going to have to cull another one. I'm going to give her a few more days to chill, and if she's still a bully I'll probably sell her and tell the new owner her issues. I think if she were with a flock of chickens that were older than her, she wouldn't try the bullying on them, because they wouldn't tolerate it. I just can't stand the thought of another chick dying.

Guess that's all part of the chicken raising experience.

Rachel

2. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i'm so sorry. i know what you're going through and it really sucks. tomorrow should be better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by