1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet Another DLM Thread!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HennaRose, Mar 7, 2015.

1. HennaRose

HennaRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    Sorry, folks.

I live in Florida, Tampa Bay area, so hot and humid much of the year. Coop is being built, will be walk-in sized, have wood walls and a dirt floor. There will be two windows in every wall, so plenty of ventilation.

Everything I've read so far says to use pine shavings as bedding. Unfortunately, one of my kids is highly allergic to pine, so we need another alternative. We have two oak trees on property that drop a lot of leaves year-round; can I use mulched leaves as bedding, or would something else be more suitable?

2. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've used Oak leaves and I'm not a fan...I still use them in a pinch because we've got hundreds of trees and there's an endless amount. I didn't mulch them and maybe that's the problem but they seem to stick together and mat down pretty quickly, not stay fluffy and clean feeling. I'm going to be switching to sand this year in hopes to clean it more like a litter box and reduce the wood litter in the compost pile. It's worth looking into while you're thinking about it.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    last coop I had with a dirt floor, I didn't even put bedding in it. I don't see why you couldn't mulch some of those oak leaves, man talk about something that would be even MORE fantastic on the garden spot and in the flower beds! compost that and turn it in the garden spot a month or so before planting time......

leaves are great for a garden anyway

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by