Yet another Jumbo Cornish Cross Thread

I live south of springfield. There are several ares labeled mark Twain national forest, so not sure where you went. I am trying to feed 12 on and 12 off but more like 15-16 feed and the rest hold off

My son and I hiked from Greer crossing, up 7 seven points scenic river to McCormack lake. They say the trail is 2.6 miles and intermediate - yea right... It was the longest 2.6 miles I ever hiked and and climbs 1200 feet. Complete with bear scatt ever 15 or so minutes. We could smell and hear bears but we never seen one. It was a hike I will never forget - what beautiful country.

They are now 3 weeks old. I'm wondering if I should take them out of the brooder and cut them loose in the chicken yard. Over the next few days it's supposed to drop into the middle to upper 40's overnight. My thoughts are saying it's better to wait a little while longer and until they have more feathers - so I don't stress them out to much. What's your thoughts?

Last edited:
Well they are gonna have to come out of the brooder soon. Good Lord these things eat a lot and every time I top of their feed or waterer, they go crazy like they are starving or something and its not like they ran out of food or water - i just top it off. Not sure how much more being "momma hen" to these pigs with wings I can take... I only got 7 more weeks to go for chicken dinners, thank God.

Last edited:
Big day - finally out of the brooder and into the chicken yard. I sectioned off 165 sqft for them and thry have 4x8 under the turkey house to get out of the weather. I also put a 125 watt heat lamp out for them if they get cold at night but in a week or so I'll take it down. Man are these things fat...

Last edited:
Lost two today to "flip" - kind of makes a guy think he is doing something wrong. I have them on a 12 hours on 12 hours off feeding schedule. In the morning this is what I get to look forward to. A bunch of hungry chickens lined up at the fence waiting for their food.

But this morning I noticed two were laying down and didn't get up to meet me. So I looked and the one it's plumb dead stiff as a board on its back. The other one was breathing real heavy. I picked it up and dipped it beak in the water but it wouldn't have anything to do with it, so I cleared a opening at the feeder and placed it down but it wouldn't have anything to do with eating. So I put it back in the shade about 1 hour later it too was dead on its back. I hope this stops I'm now down to 11 from 13.

It rained lke the Dickens yesterday and is very humid I'm not sure how if that stressed them out or what but the other 11 are very active. I personally think their little hearts gave out but who knows?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom