Yet another newbie question

lakeshorenc

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Lake Waccamaw NC
I am totally new to this, happened to see incubator at the Tractor Supply and thought why not give it a try. I do have a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answers to. How long after I put the eggs in the incubator do I start turning them and I keep reading about temperature being critical. It says to turn them 5 times a day but will it hurt them to lose that stable temperature by opening the incubator. I'm guessing not, but would like to hear that. Thanks

Thought of one more question, I didn't read where it said to let them get room temperature before putting them in the incubator but they had been layed only an hour or so before I put them in the incubator. I left them out side at 51 degrees for about 15-20 mins. Think I'm OK??

Last edited:
Yes your ok, put an "x" on one side of the egg and an "o" on the other turn three times a day, and start turning the first day. And the short time it will take to turn the eggs the temp loss won't hurt as the temp of the egg won't be affected.

Thank you, gonna turn them in a couple hours. I feel like an expectant mom. Wanna do everything right. I did do the X and O thing. Will turn them 2 more times today so I end with big side up tonight.

Last edited:
Yes!!!! I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I knew I would mess up. The pictures I have seen were sitting upright end over end. My son cut out an egg carton till it was small and we put air holes in the bottom. So, I'm supposed to put them on their side? If I mess up I can just start again tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom