Yet another person tired of paying supermarket egg prices!

craig87c

Chirping
Feb 1, 2023
Vermont
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I helped my parents with chickens, but have only gotten the urge to get my own recently. Between supermarket prices and just wanting to get more self sufficient, I think chickens are a great way to get into livestock on a smaller scale. While I won't save any money on eggs, at least I know what is going into them and I already know how much better fresh eggs are from a chicken that wasn't raise on a CAFO.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Zero right now, but I am ordering a flock of six this weekend!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Planning on three Rhode Island Reds, and three Easter Eggers

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Fresh, delicious fried eggs! Have you ever made carbonara with fresh eggs?!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Probably too many! Cooking, reading, hiking, hunting, woodworking, video games, gardening, ecology

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have three cats (two rescued from a shelter, one who walked in the house and decided she owns the place!). At least two stray cats along with possums/skunks/birds and everything else that lives in the area

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Have heard about it on various chicken youtubers (OakAbode and Chickenlandia specifically!

Back
Top Bottom