Yet ANOTHER Roosting Question - SORRY!

jenkassai

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
It seems like there have been tons of roosting questions lately, so I apologize in advance
roll.png
My chickens are finally roosting! One girl is consistently sleeping by herself on top of the nesting boxes (not worried about a mess - they are covered). The rest of the flock (10 all together including her) are all sleeping on the roost. There seems to be plenty of space, about 1 foot per bird, and when I check on them they are all squished together, leaving almost half of the roost empty! This hen is the lowest in the pecking order I believe. I don't know if she's being kicked off or choosing to roost there, but with winter coming I wonder will she be warm enough sleeping by herself? The coop is insulated but not heated, and I am in NE Ohio.

Thanks!

She'll be fine. She really needs to roost because roosting on the nesting boxes means she will have a nasty, poopy butt. On a roosting bar, the poops will fall away from her, but sitting on the boxes will allow the feces to stick to her feathers and make a mess of her. Trust me... I have a bird that refuses to roost and she is always messy as a result. I wish when I had gotten her nearly 5 years ago I had been more picky about the roosting thing. I didn't know any better, so I let her do her thing. Five years later I am kicking myself. Now, I insist that all my birds roost. I don't care if I have to place them all on roosting poles each night for weeks until they get the idea. I'll do it! It makes them look so much prettier as a result.

Good luck.

Yes, I wondered about the messy bottom! So I should just continue to move her for a while and see if she gets it? As long as I know she will be okay without cuddling up to the others I won't stress out about it, but will try to get her to roost on the roost for "hygiene" reasons
smile.png
I think I'll try to watch them sometime when they go to bed too, and see if she starts out on the roost and then moves, or if she automatically just goes to the top of the nest boxes.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom