Yet another winter ventilation question

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
There is an open area (hardware cloth) below the covered run roof and the above the automatic door. Would it be recommended to cover this with plastic/plexiglass during winter? They will still have ventilation from the roof ridge vent and the soffit vents.
20200901_175954.jpg

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200901_175736.jpg
    20200901_175736.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 3
I cover my run walls with corrugated plastic sheets, I use the same ones year after year. The most important part to cover is which way the wind normally blows. I don't cover the complete wall with the corrugated plastic sheets, I leave a foot uncovered up toward the top so that there is still ventilation.

Here's what I've done and, so far, so good. Since the plastic surrounding the run is affixed with carabiner clips, I can easily peel it back on warmer/dryer days.

Winterized Eglu 1.jpg

You might consider some plastic of some sort in the run. Maybe the run door side and opposite the run door. And under the coop itself. That could create a safe space while leaving an entire wall completely open.

But I think you are OK in the coop. If you can feel wind inside the coop, maybe just a baffle of some sort to deflect the wind while allowing some air exchange.

Look at wind flow over the roosts. If that area allows wind to blow on the chickens when on the roosts at night, it probably should be covered. To me it depends on how the coop and roosts are laid out inside.

That should be plenty of ventilation with the ridge vent and soffit vents only as long as the ridge vent is not blocked by snow. Even then, your soffit vents are probably good enough on their own but I don't know how big those are.

Back
Top Bottom