Yet Another worming question....

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
So I noticed a very small roundworm in one of my leghorns poo and decided to worm my whole flock. We’re using liquid goat dewormer (safeguard), and decided the easiest way to do our flock of 23 by mixing the safeguard with water and mixing it into their food; we give them this in the evening (I take their free choice food away at 2pm so they are hungry and eat the medicated food). I have noticed them pooping out the worms when I check in the mornings so I’m assuming it’s working?
Has anyone else used this method successfully? We just simply cannot dose each bird individually for 5 days in a row and I don’t understand how people with large flocks do this and I’m wondering why I’ve never heard of this method after 4 years on BYC?Everyone seemed fine and I had no indication that anyone had worms until the one pooped it out right in front of me.

Personally I dont like mixing wormers in food or water. You simply dont know if the birds are going to eat or drink enough in order for the wormer to be effective, and usually the lowest birds in the pecking order dont get their share, for wormer effectiveness.
Sick, or wormy birds wont eat nor drink, or they'll eat and drink very little.

I agree with you about Safeguard having to dose 5 days in a row. It's mainly done that way to treat capillary worms. If you're going to worm with Safeguard, that's the way to do it, get all types of worms with one shot unless of course you get fecal samples done and target specific worms excluding capillary worms. I prefer not to do this. IMO it's a waste of time and money. I say this because I know our soil conditions.

Now you know why I prefer to use Valbazen. Even though it costs more than Safeguard, the 500ml bottle lasts longer and requires only two oral dosings. It'll eliminate all types of poultry worms like Safeguard.
Dosing birds orally is the only way you're going to be certain that your birds get properly wormed, no guesswork about it.

I cant tell you if mixing the Safeguard with water in their feed, even withholding their feed for a period of time will be effective or not. Each birds intake of the treated feed will be different for each bird. You'll have to be the judge of that.

Personally I dont like mixing wormers in food or water. You simply dont know if the birds are going to eat or drink enough in order for the wormer to be effective, and usually the lowest birds in the pecking order dont get their share, for wormer effectiveness.
Sick, or wormy birds wont eat nor drink, or they'll eat and drink very little.

I agree with you about Safeguard having to dose 5 days in a row. It's mainly done that way to treat capillary worms. If you're going to worm with Safeguard, that's the way to do it, get all types of worms with one shot unless of course you get fecal samples done and target specific worms excluding capillary worms. I prefer not to do this. IMO it's a waste of time and money. I say this because I know our soil conditions.

Now you know why I prefer to use Valbazen. Even though it costs more than Safeguard, the 500ml bottle lasts longer and requires only two oral dosings. It'll eliminate all types of poultry worms like Safeguard.
Dosing birds orally is the only way you're going to be certain that your birds get properly wormed, no guesswork about it.

I cant tell you if mixing the Safeguard with water in their feed, even withholding their feed for a period of time will be effective or not. Each birds intake of the treated feed will be different for each bird. You'll have to be the judge of that.
Very informative... thank you. I’ll see if I can order Valbazen or see if my local TSC carries it. But you are saying to suck it up and dose each bird individually? Ugh.... so annoying 😒 But I guess necessary.

So I noticed a very small roundworm in one of my leghorns poo and decided to worm my whole flock. We’re using liquid goat dewormer (safeguard), and decided the easiest way to do our flock of 23 by mixing the safeguard with water and mixing it into their food; we give them this in the evening (I take their free choice food away at 2pm so they are hungry and eat the medicated food). I have noticed them pooping out the worms when I check in the mornings so I’m assuming it’s working?
Has anyone else used this method successfully? We just simply cannot dose each bird individually for 5 days in a row and I don’t understand how people with large flocks do this and I’m wondering why I’ve never heard of this method after 4 years on BYC?Everyone seemed fine and I had no indication that anyone had worms until the one pooped it out right in front of me.
Sounds like it works. Is what I would do.. Try worms in an egg.. I know there is a name for it.. but it is a trip.. Psychedelic, LSD.

Very informative... thank you. I’ll see if I can order Valbazen or see if my local TSC carries it. But you are saying to suck it up and dose each bird individually? Ugh.... so annoying 😒 But I guess necessary.
It's rare that TSC carries Valbazen.
I've ordered from these folks before and they ship quickly.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

I currently have 19 birds staying in different coops. I worm my birds early before sunrise when they're still asleep. I snatch one off the roost, dose them and release them in the pen. Done in about 30 minutes taking my time. If you need more details, let me know.

It's rare that TSC carries Valbazen.
I've ordered from these folks before and they ship quickly.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

I currently have 19 birds staying in different coops. I worm my birds early before sunrise when they're still asleep. I snatch one off the roost, dose them and release them in the pen. Done in about 30 minutes taking my time. If you need more details, let me know.
Thank you for the link.
That actually sounds reasonable. With my husbands help we could probably knock it out this Saturday morning.... we use this method when separating them for sale bc a buyer is coming over.

Back
Top Bottom