Yikes! Chick might need help inside bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensRheaven, Jul 18, 2010.

1. chickensRheaven

chickensRheaven Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Farmington, Maine
    Chick that hatched while we were sleeping last night seems to be attached to the shell by a "thread" (blood vessel) Should I go in and detach? And can I safely remove the dried chicks and place in brooder? Is is day 22 and there are still four more in waiting to hatch. Somebody said to place something in to replace the humidity. Yay! I hatched 7 chicks!

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Yup, you can try raising humidity and waiting.

What I would do is let it be, then gently pull it off, maybe with the aid of a wet paper towel.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Just be careful when you fiddle with that 'thread'. I've had some chicks where that thread-like attachment is present- and it may lead directly to the yolk in their bellies still. That's something you DEFINITELY don't want to yank out!

4. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    The hatch I did last month, all the chicks were attached to their shells by that thread. A few of them dragged their shell around the incubator for 20 minutes or so and then it detached itself. It looked just like an umbilical cord attached to their bellies. I'd leave it alone.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wait for the last four pips to make it out. That thread is just the equivalent of the umbilical cord. It will dry and break, and if by tomorrow it doesn't, just carefully take scissors and snip it off near the chick's naval providing it is dry and crispy (which if it is, it should break off on it's own).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by