1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

YIKES! FEED SHORTAGE!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cherib603, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Hi all!!! I have four 3 week old ducklings and they are on McGeary's Organic Duck Starter, which I order online.
    Unfortunately, I miscalculated what little piggies they are, and tomorrow morning I'll be out of food! I ordered more yesterday, but it won't be here until the day after tomorrow.

What can I get to hold them over????

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you want to stick with organic, and it's just a few days, I would consider making them some nice well-soaked organic grains - nothing large that they could choke on, and I hope you have been able to give them just a tiny bit of chick grit daily.

If not (chick grit yet), I would put the well-soaked (like, at least overnight) grains into a blender and make it into a moistened mash. Then they won't need to "chew" it.

Here are the ingredients in Scratch n Peck's organic starter to give you some ideas. Organic Wheat, Organic Peas, Organic Barley, Organic Linseed Meal, Fish Meal, Organic Sesame Meal, Vitamin and Mineral Pre-mix, Ground Limestone, Organic Vegetable Oil

So you can probably find some wheat seeds, barley, sesame, maybe just a little flax, and then put poultry vitamins in their water tomorrow. You just need enough for a couple of days. An important part would be making sure it's fine enough, and soaking it will help soften it and I have been told it can actually release more nutrients that way.

@Cherib603

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by