YIKES! FEED SHORTAGE!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cherib603, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Hi all!!! I have four 3 week old ducklings and they are on McGeary's Organic Duck Starter, which I order online.
    Unfortunately, I miscalculated what little piggies they are, and tomorrow morning I'll be out of food! I ordered more yesterday, but it won't be here until the day after tomorrow.

What can I get to hold them over????

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you want to stick with organic, and it's just a few days, I would consider making them some nice well-soaked organic grains - nothing large that they could choke on, and I hope you have been able to give them just a tiny bit of chick grit daily.

If not (chick grit yet), I would put the well-soaked (like, at least overnight) grains into a blender and make it into a moistened mash. Then they won't need to "chew" it.

Here are the ingredients in Scratch n Peck's organic starter to give you some ideas. Organic Wheat, Organic Peas, Organic Barley, Organic Linseed Meal, Fish Meal, Organic Sesame Meal, Vitamin and Mineral Pre-mix, Ground Limestone, Organic Vegetable Oil

So you can probably find some wheat seeds, barley, sesame, maybe just a little flax, and then put poultry vitamins in their water tomorrow. You just need enough for a couple of days. An important part would be making sure it's fine enough, and soaking it will help soften it and I have been told it can actually release more nutrients that way.

@Cherib603

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by