YIKES! I ran out of feed...

Sequin

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
...so I ran to the feed store yesterday, but they were already closed and will be closed all day today!!! What to do what to do?! I have cracked corn, sunflower seed/millet/corn mix, wheatberries, and rolled wheat(not processed, just smooshed) and flax seed... can I make a mixture off all that and feed it to them, just for the day? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
smile.png
Thanks so much. I feel silly for running out, but I forgot about it being a holiday and that the stores would be closed.

I'm sure for one day that would be better than nothing. Throw in some veggies, fruit, left over meat, and/or cat food and they should have a fairly good chance of being able to balance their nutrients until the feed store opens tomorrow.

Are they totally out of feed? If you free feed like I do there is always plenty scattered in the bedding for them to eat well for several days. However, if they have no feed, then, yes, I think you could make a mixture just fine. I often feed mine oatmeal right out of the box and they love it.
smile.png

phew, thanks so much! I really appreciate the responses. I was so worried about what to feed them. I have all sorts of veggie scraps and some fruit to feed them(lately bananas have been their absolute favorite), but wanted to give them some grains too.

I do free feed, but we also move their tractor daily so they have fresh grass. Usually all the feed is gone from the grass by the time I move it the next day. So, I guess it is sort of a combo of free feed and regular feeding times(I set the new feed out each morning when I move the tractor and give treats and extras about an hour before sunset.

Thanks again everyone!!! I feel much better now.

You are all most excellent with the food suggestions for those in a pinch!!! Many many thanks. I love hearing the suggestions you have, so keep 'em coming if you have something to share.

This mornings meal was a success. Everyone devoured the bananas. Those are always the first to go. Then they went about making a fuss over the grains/corn combo. Later on they will get the veggie scraps and another smaller portion of the grain mixture. It makes me feel good to offer healthy foods to my chickens, and I think I will add some 'extras' in with their regular diet more often. I did before, but I think I will increase what variety they get fed. I also need to get more chickens, because my family has been devouring the eggs at a swift rate!! And we are getting 5 eggs a day!!!!
th.gif
There is only 3 of us in the household, so we are eating nearly two eggs each a day. Yup, I NEED more chickens.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom