Yikes! Math!

Quote:
I understand what they are saying, but their methods are a little strange. They want the kids to memorize sums just as they would a multiplication table. We memorized them as kids by doing sheets of problems over and over. I guess it was up to us to figure how to get the answer originally, whether it was counting fingers, or applying some sort of thought process to it. I don't remember being taught any specific process.

4 and 4 is 8. It's that simple, it should be memorized, it should be a reflex. I'm not sure how your mind translates that to 2x4=8.

I don't know why my thought processes it but I really did badly in add and substraction problems. The zeros, ones, tens and double numbers I can do without having to count my fingers or write down on a paper. If someone puts out a 7 +5 problem, I would go blank and then I must count my fingers. That is why I do so well in multiplications and divisions so well and it really did stumped the teachers back in those days why I would do so well in higher math but can not do the add and subst. problems without having to count my fingers. It just don't click at all. I remember those frustrating night after night for two years, repeated fifth grade again because I didn't know my add and sub. It was a very long struggle and finally passed it and once I did passed it, I never went back to remembering it again. Balancing books, money and everyday life, I did fine as long I can use my fingers OR on a piece of paper. I am unable to do it out of reflex on those problems.

Quote:
I think you are right just common sense. I was always getting things wrong because I didn't do problem the way we were taught but yet still had the right answer. NEver will figure that out! lol

The sad thing is though I am taking the HS algebra as a refresher course before college and there are people older than me that don't know basic math. Basic as in their multiplication tables and how to do long division on paper. I feel like the teacher's pet or something when I am the only one that answers questions. ;/ There are women and men in their 40's that don't know how to add and subtract fractions. it is really sad. There is one kid in my math class that graduated in 2009 and said he was in Honors Geometry and Trig but has taken this class 3 times.
roll.png
THAT makes me wonder just what exactly they are teaching. sigh.

anywho- Spelling, math, and grammar should be the top three subjects to focus on IMHO. Each day I think more about homeschooling.

I love fractions and can add them with my fingers LOL! Memorizing them was not my strong suit. It didn't take me long to memorize the multiplications and divisions and be able to work thru each one of them.

The "chicago" method or "lattice" math method, I get lost in them and hope the teachers won't be teaching them.

Is it common for teachers every twenty years or so, get different kind of methods of math solving because our kids are simply more tech savvy?

I overheard one mom said her fourth grader uses calculator for her math class. As long the kids know the basics of working math by hand and thinking, they can go ahead and use calculators to "shorten" their time in counting and figuring it out.

I'm 46 and its a good thing my hubby is 48 that he is really good at add and sub, multip. and div. but stucks at fractions, decimels, alegbra and even measuring and finding the 3/16th of an inch on a ruler...I had to teach him that when he was learning to build things, welding and so forth. He is a good student, for an ADD.

It is crazy how there is a different method taught in every different school district. I think our local public switched to New math or something a few years ago,and will see how the kids learn with this method.

My kids being in montessori learn the montessori way. Later they will be expected to learn/show the results of whatever school they attend.In the end though I want my dh and mom to teach them,because those two *rock* when it comes to using math in everyday life. I don't want my kids to be so lost they can't figure out basics.

I understand the frustration. I was an engineer and worked with numbers all my life, yet years ago when I tried to help my elementary aged kids with math homework, I got real confused.

Our education system is not working. I have my own theories why, and I'm not convinced all these different learning systems make that much difference, but starting a rant like that is not the meaning of my post. I think people are honestly trying to fix the problems and these different systems are part of that trying.

The only thing I can advise is to try to read the math books and figure it out. Or try to get your kids to teach you. Get them to explain what the teacher told them, then try to check that against the math book. It's an old Boy Scout trick. If you can get a kid to teach something, they learn a whole lot themselves and it is more likely to stick.

The other thing is to commend you for being involved and caring. There are exceptions, but I don't remember any of the gifted and talented kids in my kids classes where the parents were not very involved in working with the kids. Whether that was the PTA/PTO, going on field trips, helping with book fairs, scouting, coaching at the playground, whatever, the top students' parents were involved with the kids some way.

My daughter goes to a private Christian school and there she will stay because our public schools we were assigned didn't help her one bit (she has ADHD/Aspey/ODD and she excels better than any of her classmates, gets so bored with K class along with some gang problems in the low income areas mingling...that's a different story). I am glad we made the best decision for her despite her protests wanting to go back to that "gang ridden" public school. We didn't have a choice where we can put our daughter in a different school, it was not simply allowed. We really didn't want to move because of the housing mortgages, houses staying on the market for a very long time.

I will keep trying to figure it out. I Hope I can do the Bob Jones method and will have to find a link that it can give me an idea what to expect when the problems get a bit harder.

New math rules...

Even english.

My daughter just started the 6th grade. 12 years old, by now she can write.
Teacher sent a paper home to practice cursive writing. Okay. But the paper
included numbers 1 through 10, the question mark, the exclaimation mark and
the common period as being cursive.

Did I miss something? How many ways can you make a period?

Quote:
Huh? There is no cursive in a period. You can slightly slant the ; : & ! ?

Daughter is going to learn cursive this year, SECOND grade, I tell ya! I just could not believe they will start them that young. she is GAME to try it LOL!

Maybe it is not so much how to make a period as to where to place it? I've seen people put periods pretty high up, to the point I wasn't sure it was supposed to be a period.

Back
Top Bottom