Yikes! My chickens just ate a lizard!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick4chix, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I felt so bad ---I accidentally caught a lizard in my bird netting- and although I cut him out- it was a little too late- he had expired:([​IMG] so out of curiosity I held him by the tail next to the girls pen where he was immediately grabbed and fought over! long story short- they made a fast meal out of him.
    It was a little shocking how quickly they devoured him, but at least his loss of life was not for naught:D[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Yes, chickens are omnivorous. They eat nearly anything they can... Bugs, worms, snakes, frogs, sometimes even each other. I knew a guy who would throw the ribcage from the deer he hunted into the run, and the chickens would happily peck it clean.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I had a nasty thing happen today too! only it was a poor frog! [​IMG]

4. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    yeah, I saw my girls chase down and eat a frog in the yard yesterday. As long as it doesn't make them sick, I don't mind.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Lizard stand little chance. Mine chased down and killed a mouse that decided to take a short cut through their run.

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Quote:[​IMG] lol I luv frogs !
    We have 13+ barn cats (all spayed/neutered) and i haven't seen a lizard all summer. [​IMG]

7. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Wow! a deer carcass- whew that's big! I know they are omnivores but that seems almost over the top- like a hawk or buzzard.

Mine have been happily eating worms (I vermicompost) and used to give them to them- now they have to work for them by digging, and I heard they would eat baby mice (I wish) but I guess I was surprised by the speed by which they dismembered and swallowed him.

They won't touch snails or slugs- I fed them a slug and after shuddering, and dropping it- they spent the next ten minutes trying to wipe the slime off their beaks on everything close by including me -ha.

8. i'mclucked

i'mclucked Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    I've seen my girls eat a lizard, also a small mouse .

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Mine love slugs. That's one of there favorite finds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by