Yikes!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whitehouse Quail, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    All right, I was browsing online and saw something WEIRD. There are numerous publications put out by universities around the country about HOW TO BREAK OPEN AN EGG AND WATCH THE EMBRYO GROW.

So, the question I pose is; will they hatch if you break open the shell, being careful not to rupture the bloodcells?

Here is a link: Here
    There are also places that explain how to break it into a special "viewing chamber" Here

This would be AWESOME if the chick lived; but cruel if they can't hatch.

So, any opinions?

(Please no debate on the humanity of these experiments!! Thanks! [​IMG])

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:Im going to say no. Bacteria, and other micro-organisms, will probably make their way into the embryo and kill it. You can open an egg to see an embryo, but hatching after that- probably not.

3. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It sounds like the "chamber" version of the experiment is suggesting the chick will continue to develop. While that may be possible...The membrane has important blood vessels that help support the chick. This is all lost when the egg is cracked open. Too, plastic wrap isn't porous. I don't see how the chick can get air near the "hatch" time.

Ah, it says they frequently live to be 16 days old and older. Nothing says they can actually hatch. But I still wonder how they develop without the blood vessels in the membranes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by