yikes!

Loretta212

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Meriden ct
so i recently got rid of my 6 roosters (well they are in the freezer) and i added 3 new hens so now i have a total of 7 hens however i used to get eggs everyday like clockwork and now havent gotten any could this be because of all the change?

How old are your layers? Are they heading into a molt (about 18mo)? Is the daylight length SO short that they're just resting for a bit? Do they have enough water?

I found if I kept 2 additional water sources in the run (not just the one, but two) - my egg production skyrocketed! Was getting 1 egg a day from 5 pullets - after adding additional waterer, consistently getting 3 eggs a day from 5 pullets. So someone was 'guarding' the water! Since I'm getting 3 eggs daily from 5 pullets, that means someone (or two or three) are still laying daily. Couldn't tell you who...but I'm thankful!

We've also had a VERY mild season thus far - daytime highs in the 40's, lows in the 20's (for northern Illinois in December, that's mild!) - and I think that helps. I'm also making sure they're getting enough protein daily...a bit of an extra lunchtime treat while I'm home for lunch! Yogurt, mealworms, scrambled eggs, spinach, homemade breads, oatmeal, raisins....you name it, it all gets shared with the chickens! So between the extra protein AND the extra water, we're laying well here!

BTW - pullets are Black Java's from Garfield Farm Museum, LaFox, IL. Wonderful birds.

i have 2 water sources that i keep full throught the day, 2 of the hens ages are unknown they were given to me, 2 are just over a year and the others around 5 months they get layer pellets and whatever else such as apples, grapes, oats, corn

Quote:
x2.
I'm not far from you, and the MOST I've gotten is 5 eggs in one day, now it's down to maybe 2 or 3 per day with the cooler weather/less daylight hours (plus 2 of my girls are molting, so they're out for the count).

Back
Top Bottom