Yipee!! Coop is almost done! 5/31

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by briana1975, Apr 19, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We finally got our coop started this weekend. My husband said he was making an executive decision to build the coop 8x12 instead of the 8x10 we were planning on. He said we won't have to cut sheets of plywood that way. I say we can have more chickens. Well anyways here are the pictures of our start this weekend.

[​IMG]
    My wonderful, able to build me all kinds of things husband and my helpful FIL.
    [​IMG]
    Our boys checking their dad's work.
    [​IMG]
    Our boys.
    [​IMG]
    Third wall going up today. See the rain was on the way.
    [​IMG]
    All four walls up. And the steps for me to get in.

We are now supposed to have 3 days of rain, which turns out to be ok because we ended up having to order steel for the outside and it won't be in till Friday.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Its going to be nice good job [​IMG]

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    What a smart DH. [​IMG] The coop looks like it's going to be a really nice one. I'm sure you can't wait to fill it w/ chickens. Nice fencing job too.

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Great looking so far.

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Bigger is always better especially when it comes to coops. What breeds are you planning to keep? Tell your husband how much you love him and keep him motivated! Excellent work. Be sure to thank the FIL as well. I'm sure you will but just wanted to remind you. [​IMG] Looking out for my chicken peeps!

6. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Right now we have 2 BBW turkey poults in the big brooder that are going into the freezer, and 28 chicks in the regular brooder. 12 of those chicks were packing peanuts so they will go to the freezer when they are big enough. We are keeping 4 Barred Rocks ,9 Buff Orpingtons ,and 3 Silkies. Hopefully at the end of the month we will have 2 Burbon Red poults that we will also be keeping.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG] Nice job so far

8. kimbobim

kimbobim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Highland, Utah
    Looks great! You said that it's 8 x 12 - how tall are the walls?

9. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    The front wall is 8' tall and the back wall is 6'tall. Still raining in Michigan but it is supposed to stop by Wednesday and we get to look forward to a nice weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me that we get to finish the coop.

10. Smeamers

Smeamers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Nice looking coop! We're in Michigan too and are planning on a saltbox style coop. I'm eager to see your progress!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by