Yogurt and chicken throwing up

Mavrik

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
I gave my chicken some plain live culture yogurt this morning and she has been throwing up all day. I just bought it today and exp mid July. I thought this stuff is suppose to be good for them. Any input?

Chicken don't really "throw up" contents from their stomach. I've had the crop contents come out of birds, usually when they have had too much to eat or drink, and then bend over. I've also seen it happen when they are picked up right after eating or drinking. Have you checked her crop?

She is defiantly throwing up from her crop. Pools about 2" of diluted yogurt. Her first one a half dozen seed came out.

7-8 times, so far. Some are smaller puddles.

Last edited:
Is her crop hard (impacted)? I've never had yogurt cause this. Maybe she just ate too much? I would take away food and just offer plain water for a while. Wait and see what happens.

I just freed up an impacted crop (rock hard, about golf ball size), I hope. But I'm still getting grass out of her and it's been two days since she has free ranged. The crop feels normal now, but I'm still evaluating if it's freed. I got some good solid poops from her yesterday, not all of them are like this. Then she seem to plug again, so I freed it again. She is getting layer crumbles (should turn to mush in the crop with her water drinking) that she doesn't seem to like, small amounts, a few times a day of super finely chopped eggs and pureed dry roasted salt free peanuts (turns into a dry 'peanut butter'.) The peanuts is to boost protein intake. She is very under weight and weak. I thought the yogurt would help, but it's only set things back a day.

Quote:
I just read something about peanuts causing problems in chicken. I can't remember exactly what it said...something about toxicity. Maybe you should stick with eggs for protein. If she was just impacted, she could develop sour crop from everything just sitting in there. You can usually smell sour crop.
sickbyc.gif
I think I would take her off of her food for 24 hours or so if she is well enough to tolerate it. Give her vitamins (I use polyvisol without iron) and gatoraid which will keep her hydrated and the sugar in it has calories.

If it turns out to be sour crop, you can find treatments in older posts.

I read people giving peanuts to see if hens will lay larger eggs. This is the first I heard they are toxic to chickens. It took me like 2-3 days to get some sort of non-watery poop from her (watery means blocked). I was giving her molasses, avian vitamins and electrolytes in her water during this time so she could get some calories, etc while I tried to unblock her (I would message the crop and wait 3-4 hours for poop changes). I started the yogurt to prevent sour crop by enhancing digestion with the live culture yogurt. I don't want to keep her away from food for 24 hours, I've been working on her for 5 days now and I have to get some "solid" food in her. Of course I mean soft "solid" food. I think I may be close, like I said, I got some solid poops from her yesterday and today I was going to see if the solid poops continued, but with the yogurt making her throw up, threw things off.

Back
Top Bottom