Yogurt? Good for them? What type?

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Is yogurt O.K to give my chickens? Maybe like once a week just for a little treat. If so, what type of yogurt? Just plain old regular yogurt?

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
Yes, plain unflavored, and live culture, and once or twice a week is good, and not too much then. The probiotics are good for them and they love the stuff.

They will sling it everywhere once they learn how good it tastes so you might want to mix it with something.

You can give them most of the things you eat, plus the scraps. Here is the BYC treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Can I put some yogurt by a Broody to give her a little treat while she's laying on her eggs?

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
I'm not sure this is a good idea. They are in a sort of trance when they set so this interrupts. On the other hand, lots of folks are afraid they won't get up to eat, which they usually do once or twice a day, so they take the broody out of the nest. I set my 2 broodies (they are setting on air) out of the nest every time I collect eggs, because the others climb in and lay in the same nest. Most of the time they just sit where I put them, then get back on the nest after a few minutes.

RedRoosterFarm

**LOVE MY SERAMAS**
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
Eatonville, Washington
love.gif
They love it here at my house. And get it maybe 3 times a month.

Boo-Boo's Mama

Songster
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Western Edge of Central Texas
I make homemade yogurt to give the girls. When we were in the 100's I added overripe bananas to it and froze for a tasty, cool treat. I have also added oatmeal and this week I began using it and warm water to soak alfalfa pellets for them

franklinchickens

Songster
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Franklin, TN
Quote:
So true with the EE's! Mine are always covered in white flecks - and so am I if I don't get out of the way fast enough! I've tried it with wheat germ for them but they didn't like it as much, and also leftover smoothies but no interest in those at all. Just plain is what they like.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom