Yogurt? Good for them? What type?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sgsf, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Is yogurt O.K to give my chickens? Maybe like once a week just for a little treat. If so, what type of yogurt? Just plain old regular yogurt?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, plain unflavored, and live culture, and once or twice a week is good, and not too much then. The probiotics are good for them and they love the stuff.

They will sling it everywhere once they learn how good it tastes so you might want to mix it with something.

You can give them most of the things you eat, plus the scraps. Here is the BYC treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  3. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Can I put some yogurt by a Broody to give her a little treat while she's laying on her eggs?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm not sure this is a good idea. They are in a sort of trance when they set so this interrupts. On the other hand, lots of folks are afraid they won't get up to eat, which they usually do once or twice a day, so they take the broody out of the nest. I set my 2 broodies (they are setting on air) out of the nest every time I collect eggs, because the others climb in and lay in the same nest. Most of the time they just sit where I put them, then get back on the nest after a few minutes.

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    [​IMG] They love it here at my house. And get it maybe 3 times a month.

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I make homemade yogurt to give the girls. When we were in the 100's I added overripe bananas to it and froze for a tasty, cool treat. I have also added oatmeal and this week I began using it and warm water to soak alfalfa pellets for them

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Plain with oats.

As they say...
    Instructions
    put the yogurt down
    RUN!!! [​IMG] especially if you have EE's, oh boy...

8. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    mine love the blueberry flavor! They get a bowl to share 2 or 3 times a week.

9. kokopelli_7

kokopelli_7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    a crazy house in Texas
    This sounds like so much fun to watch. I'll try it this week.

OMG! I just keep learning and learning.....lol

10. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:So true with the EE's! Mine are always covered in white flecks - and so am I if I don't get out of the way fast enough! I've tried it with wheat germ for them but they didn't like it as much, and also leftover smoothies but no interest in those at all. Just plain is what they like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by