Yogurt whey used for a mash for chicks?

nilihanth

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2023
Missouri
If I were to use homemade yogurt whey as the liquid part of a mash for the chicks, would it be good or bad or something in-between?

2 things led me to this question: I am often making yogurt, and I just got 10 chicks for my first time ever. I hesitate doing it only because I know how tricky diet can be especially considering I'm feeding them chick feed already balanced for things like the 18% protein, probiotics and prebiotics, etc.. However, I also currently dump out a lot of whey because I lack currently in any other useful way to use it (don't tar and feather me).

I use yogurt whey to make mash for my chickens. They love it. I haven't seen any issues from it; been doing it for a couple years. :idunno

I feed our chickens leftover yogurt and "spoiled" milk (it's fresh and unpasteurized, so it doesn't really spoil, it just gets chunky and turns into funky yogurt) all the time.

I use cracked corn for a carbohydrate boost in the winter, and I sift it first so I don't waste as much on the ground, so I get a lot of cornmeal, and mix it in with the yoghurt. They go nuts for it.

I feed our chickens leftover yogurt and "spoiled" milk (it's fresh and unpasteurized, so it doesn't really spoil, it just gets chunky and turns into funky yogurt) all the time.

I use cracked corn for a carbohydrate boost in the winter, and I sift it first so I don't waste as much on the ground, so I get a lot of cornmeal, and mix it in with the yoghurt. They go nuts for it.
No specific concern for chicks then? I was worried that the babies would be getting too much of something where adult chickens can handle it. From most of the replies, it sounds like it might not be a big deal. I might try @Perris suggestion of just offering them a little dish of it and see if they like it.

Thanks, folks!

No specific concern for chicks then?
Not that I'm aware of, but I'm also not feeding it to them every day, it's a once a week or so treat. I'm not saying that it WOULD be a problem to give it to the more often, but I just don't know.
I was worried that the babies would be getting too much of something where adult chickens can handle it. From most of the replies, it sounds like it might not be a big deal. I might try @Perris suggestion of just offering them a little dish of it and see if they like it.
I think that's a great idea.
Thanks, folks!

Back
Top Bottom