yokeless eggs??

Jasont

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Malvern
I have a hen that only lays yokeless eggs... has anyone ever heard of this? It makes it easy when my wife only wants egg whites for a recipe so I am not complaining, just a little perplexed… any thoughts?

thanks

Jason

Great hen, problem is you won't be able to hatch her eggs to get more yolkless layers.

And that makes me wonder, how do you plant seeds that always give a seedless watermelon?

Do you know who her parents are? You could breed them and try and get sisters that lay yolkless>.

I have no idea who her parents are. My two daughters and I bought her as a chick at an auction about a year ago. We bought four chicks and she was one of them. The other three hens lay perfectly normal. Good point, genetically, it would be impossible to mass produce them... lol. Her eggs are always much smaller, but have perfectly normal color and shape.

Your girl has a problem with her ovary. The yolk is produced in the ovary and released down the oviduct where the albumen or egg white is added then the yolk and albumen are encapsulated in the shell glad or uterus. Since the egg is 'built' sequentially, it seems quite possible that a sexuallly mature bird that has a non functioning ovary could produce yolkless eggs.

Here's a pretty good website related to egg production in hens.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020

Strange. I had my first and only yolkless a week ago, but it was a fart egg and someone's first. The ovary makes sense though.

Ovaries makes perfect sense... i wonder because of her immaturity if this is something she will grow out of, or will it be a permanant thing.

Back
Top Bottom