Yolk colour

saggitt

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
Southwestern Ontario Canada
Four pullets. Black sex link. Laying egg a day about two weeks now. But yolks are pale, like real pale. All eggs. Feed is same as I had previous chickens on and their eggs nice rich yellow. Any suggestions? Nothing appealing to these pale pale eggs.

You could add dark greens like kale. I feed Kalmback's 17% layer feed with Yolk Proud in it. I also free range and I have pretty nice yolks.
Thx so much. These are also dumbest birds. Out in snow just now at 7:30 , won’t roost, just huddle on floor, won’t use nest boxes...they line up to use a corner one at a time to lay, can’t figure out pop bottle treat feeder. Who knows where they would go if out the gate! Thx again

Four pullets. Black sex link. Laying egg a day about two weeks now. But yolks are pale, like real pale. All eggs. Feed is same as I had previous chickens on and their eggs nice rich yellow
Chickens that lay daily will have paler yolks from the same feed.
Do you give Scratch Grains or other treats?
Greens will enhance color of yolks.
I feed a Non-medicated Starter Grower feed with Marigold and Kelp to my Red sex-links and my yolks are a nice orange color. I'll try to remember to snap a pix tomorrow. GC

Why are you worried about it? Are you selling the eggs or using them yourself? Nothing about the egg is affected by it's color.

If it is bothering you that much feed them carrots, beets, marigolds, or purple cabbage

Thx. Just for us or family. Previous four chickens Amercaun, Columbia, two Red sex link. same feed lovely dark yolks. New four same feed pale. Guess question is do new ones Black Sex link produce paler yolks or just these four?

I forgot to post a pic. Here is the most recent photo.
20201017_103124.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom