Yolk Colour.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by avroncotton, Dec 22, 2007.

1. avroncotton

avroncotton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Victoria Australia
    Most of the eggs that I get from my flock have that lovely deep orange colour yolk yet recently a couple of the eggs seem to have a very pale yellow yolk, similar to the typical supermarket battery egg. I don't think that I have changed anything. Can anyone suggest a reason?

Tony

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Nope, I've had a couple like that too...I don't know wether it's at the beginning of a laying cycle, after a moult, after being broody, or at the end of a laying cycle.
    I used 6 of Penny's eggs in my holiday baking and 4 were bright orangey and 2 were alot lighter.

3. japrasz

japrasz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2007
    I have read and seen with my own chickens that the more outside grass and bugs they eat the darker the yoke. Maybe with the cold weather they aren't getting as much green vegitation as they were before. Hope that helps.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Mine have really become paler, because, I think, they aren't getting as much green stuff or bugs in winter. But it might also be that they were darker in the beginning because they had extra nutrient reserves in their bodies, and now that they're most established, not so much?

I don't know! But in Australia, you're having summer, right?

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Individual hens forage to their liking. Some hens eat the food that create the more orange yolks more than others....Sometimes hens will fight over certain food, while others walk away not caring for what others fight over... gotta love those pretty hens. [​IMG]

bigzio

6. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Orange yolks are much better than yellow. Yummy! [​IMG]

Try to feed them grass. It might help them lay orange-yolked eggs.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by