Yolk Colour.

avroncotton

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Victoria Australia
Most of the eggs that I get from my flock have that lovely deep orange colour yolk yet recently a couple of the eggs seem to have a very pale yellow yolk, similar to the typical supermarket battery egg. I don't think that I have changed anything. Can anyone suggest a reason?

Tony

Nope, I've had a couple like that too...I don't know wether it's at the beginning of a laying cycle, after a moult, after being broody, or at the end of a laying cycle.
I used 6 of Penny's eggs in my holiday baking and 4 were bright orangey and 2 were alot lighter.

I have read and seen with my own chickens that the more outside grass and bugs they eat the darker the yoke. Maybe with the cold weather they aren't getting as much green vegitation as they were before. Hope that helps.

Mine have really become paler, because, I think, they aren't getting as much green stuff or bugs in winter. But it might also be that they were darker in the beginning because they had extra nutrient reserves in their bodies, and now that they're most established, not so much?

I don't know! But in Australia, you're having summer, right?

Individual hens forage to their liking. Some hens eat the food that create the more orange yolks more than others....Sometimes hens will fight over certain food, while others walk away not caring for what others fight over... gotta love those pretty hens.
lau.gif

bigzio

Orange yolks are much better than yellow. Yummy!
smile.png

Try to feed them grass. It might help them lay orange-yolked eggs.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom