Yolks settled on one side? Survive Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gitlost80, Feb 2, 2011.

1. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Last night I candled my Broody Hens eggs, (aprox day 6 )and a few had the dark part settled onto one side that wouldnt move as I turned the egg ,as they normally would, like it was stuck to the side. They were very much alive, will they survive a hatch? It is her first hatch.

2. Hi! That sounds ok to me. I was candling Day 5 eggs today and noticing the difference in how 'started developing eggs yolks' move compared to 'infertile / clear eggs yolks' --- just for my own reference (I'd marked them at Day 3).
    The developing 'yolks' are very slow to move when turned (even upside-down), compared to the non-developing yolks that go back to center.
    If you see veins and wigglers, I think that's just right.
    Good luck with your hatch!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    don't they start growing stuck on one side to begin with...? or are all of the veins supposed to float around as well...? because none of mine float around like that...

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I was wondering about this too. I"m on day 9 and only have two that has veins and obvious chickie growing. But the other yolks don't do anything. This is only my second hatch, don't really know what I'm doing! On my first hatch I threw out the ones whose yolks always rotated to the top when I turned it. None of these do that, but there is no development. Does that mean they were early quitters maybe?

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Your OK!!

[​IMG]

6. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by