Yorkshire Terrier Agility

BobwhiteQuailLover

Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Wisconsin
Are Yorkies able to compete in agility? I mean like do they have smaller jumps for them?

Thank you!
smile.png

I believe they can. Smaller dogs just have different jump sizes than larger dogs.

Almost all dogs who are well built enough to run easily can do agility, although they may not excel at it. But agility is awesome just for fun anyway. Giant breeds are at a bigger disadvantage than toys, although there is a Great Dane who runs trials in my area (poor guy practically has to get on his elbows to get through tunnels).

The shortest jump height in AKC agility is 4" which should be doable for even the tiniest Yorkie. I've seen some pretty tiny chihuahuas run agility, although the only Yorkies I've seen have been oversized ones (just my personal experience, not saying that's all that's out there running).

The most difficult parts of agility are quite different for the tiny dogs than for the mid-sized breeds. The dog walk, which to even a mid sized dog is a very narrow plank and a scary thing, is a two lane highway to a small Yorkie. No difficult bending of the body through the weaves either for the toys. In our training classes I have noticed that the small breeds have the most difficult time on the A-frame and teeter. The A-frame, because man, that is a long and steep climb for a little guy and they really need a big running start. Teeters are difficult because the dog often does not have enough weight to make the teeter tip right when the dog crosses the mid point. Sometimes those little guys are all the way at the end before the teeter starts to come down, and then they are so light they practically get bounced off the end when it hits. This is not to discourage you, of course, because there are always challenging parts of training agility no matter which breed you choose, and there is no "perfect" breed for agility (no matter what those border collie people say
wink.png
)

OK. Sassy is an oversized yorkie (by weight), so i'm very glad to know that she is not the only one.
smile.png

She isn't a very active dog most of the time, but i'm guessing it is because of her being spoiled by my Great Grandma.

Thank you!
smile.png

What are things will I need to get her ready for agility? Just teach her to Sit, Down, and Stay?
Thank you

Agility isn't a over night skill. It requires patience. You should see if their a local agility group that can get you started. She will need to learn the basic obstacles.

Yes, I know that. I'm wanting to get her started in agility, so I want to do it correct.
I can't afford Agility training, only obedience since i'm in 4-H. I'm getting books about it but we are in Illinois and I won't be able to get them. We might be here until Christmas, but I hope not! I have been researching like CRAZY, and I looked at the equipment, but they are way to expensive for me and I can easily make them. Also has anyone heard of the Teacup Dogs Agility Association? We are thinking about joining it. Hopefully I can earn more money from selling my quail.
Thank you

I did agility in my 4-H club. I was in a 4-H dog club. Maybe you could talk to your leader. we made out own obsticles.

Quote:
One of my Yorkie pups weighs 13lbs. I have met another Yorkie that was 18lbs. My big boy had at least 2 sisters that are only 3 to 4 lbs. I think that with Yorkies that it will depend on the dog. I have had one that I was fairly sure could do agility, and was a great jumper. But his daddy doesn't ever jump. I have to lift him, or he will use the stairs to get on our bed. Teddy the daddy dog weighs 5lbs.

Back
Top Bottom