You can't store hatching eggs like that!!!!

JetCat

Songster
Oct 26, 2015
Southeast Alabama
We've all heard the war stories about hatching eggs, they have to be kept at exactly XX temp and turned XX times daily and can't be kept but XX days before setting and NEVER EVER wash them blah blah blah blah.................

rather then type out a 4 page detailed description i'll trim it down, my daughter got us back into the hatching game about a year ago, a few months ago i dug out the old Sportsman 1500, gave it a good cleaning and going over then got it dialed in. as a test run (it had been in storage for over 15 yrs) i also wanted to test out some of the You can't do this and that's with hatching eggs hoopla. the eggs i set had been collected from the nest and were intended as eating/selling eggs, brought to the kitchen sink, ran under cold water and scrubbed with a scotch bright pad, dried with a towel, placed in foam cartons big end up and directly into the fridge with the temp measured accurately at 37° F, four dozen eggs, youngest were 3 weeks old, oldest 4 weeks old (from a slow sell period). when removed and sat at room temp they started to condensate so rather then let the condensation accumulate on them i placed them into the incubator at 2300hrs on the 11th of November. with their temp i figured an expected hatch date of 03 December. of the 48 eggs, 44 developed and went into lockdown, of those 40 hatched starting on the 1st of December and wrapping up mid day the 2nd so a 90% hatch rate

one interesting thing..........these eggs came from my daughters flock, she has two roosters, one a VERY large mixed and a very tiny red Cochin bantam, usually there's about a 50/50 split on Who's that baby daddy but on this batch it's about a 90/10 split...........she has another batch in her Hova-bator with an expected hatch date of the 7th Dec, it'll be interesting to see if that batch has the same split.

Wow! That's interesting. So, you intentionally did everything "they" say not to do? I'm a newbie to the whole hatching thing. So I'm really interested in this. Thanks!

I love it when folks kick the goads, or otherwise challenge all of the "they say" facts. If something makes sense, then sure, do it that way. But often, I'm left scratching my head, thinking... "I can't see the logic behind that, or can't see why that should matter!" Then, it's time to challenge it... or even dust off some of those old wives tales, and put them to the test. (Egg shape experiment, anyone???) An other one that I bought "hook line and sinker" was that young birds needed to be kept out of the flock until they were full sized, roughly 12 weeks old, so that they could defend themselves against the older birds. I'm finding, as have a lot of other people, that it's better to integrate when the babies are much younger, as they will enter the pecking order before they are perceived as a threat to that pecking order.

I love it when folks kick the goads, or otherwise challenge all of the "they say" facts. If something makes sense, then sure, do it that way. But often, I'm left scratching my head, thinking... "I can't see the logic behind that, or can't see why that should matter!" Then, it's time to challenge it... or even dust off some of those old wives tales, and put them to the test. (Egg shape experiment, anyone???) An other one that I bought "hook line and sinker" was that young birds needed to be kept out of the flock until they were full sized, roughly 12 weeks old, so that they could defend themselves against the older birds. I'm finding, as have a lot of other people, that it's better to integrate when the babies are much younger, as they will enter the pecking order before they are perceived as a threat to that pecking order.

someone somewhere did egg shape experiment: 60:40 was the result.

Yayyyy! Congrats on the great hatch, and good for you for putting the "they says" to the test. Like my good friend @lazy gardener , I love to kick conventional wisdom to the curb! I actually brood chicks outdoors in the run with a heating pad and a straw cave. I have chicks fully integrated into the flock at 4 weeks. They are roosting well by then. I gave up on that old, "Keep them inside with a heat lamp until they are laying eggs in the brooder" thing last winter and haven't looked back! Good for you!!!

Last edited:
That was me, and the experimentation is continuing on with other hatchers. Looking forward to compiling more stats from lots of hatches this season.

My last bator hatch was with eggs plucked out of my egg basket. Not stored properly, never turned prior to incubation. Best hatch ever.

That was me, and the experimentation is continuing on with other hatchers. Looking forward to compiling more stats from lots of hatches this season.

My last bator hatch was with eggs plucked out of my egg basket. Not stored properly, never turned prior to incubation. Best hatch ever.
And raised under Mama Heating Pad rather than a heat lamp, I might add!
wink.png

I can honestly stay i figured with them being in the fridge at that temp and for that long that the hatch rate would not have been all that great, my daughters batch of 18 viable eggs went into lock down yesterday morning, i have 112 quail eggs that just went into lockdown after making the above post, 104 more quail eggs locking down on the 11th and while we were wrapped up at the farm Wednesday the eggs at home in my daughters flock didn't get collected and when i went to do it last night her buff Cochin bantam hen has gone broody and decided to try and set on all the eggs that accumulated Wed/Thu so........i took all the eggs, marked 4 and gave them back to her, went to collect what the other girls laid with her just a few ago and she had a fit, but settled back down with her 4....................Chicken Math
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom