You know you've got a rooster when...add yours!

BigDaddy'sGurl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Wilkesboro NC
Here's mine: I knew I had a rooster when I went to feed my chicks in the brooder and one of the 8 day old RIR babies threw himself at my hand, grabbed a beakful of my pinkie finger flesh and began to twist and shake his head in anger that I would dare to put my hand ANYWHERE NEAR his highness' home.

Yeah. He will be breaded fried and served with sides before it's over. Who will have the last laugh then??

How did you know you had a rooster?

We knew we had a rooster when he started hopping over all the other chicks their very first day here, then shortly after began to dig all the way through the three inches of pine shavings, instinctively trying to look for stuff to feed his hens (but instead coating them all with a layer of pine shavings). The hens were not too appreciative of that.
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

I remember the first time I introduced some 8 week old pullets to my then 10 week old roo. First he tried throwing himself upon them...upsetting them greatly and getting him absolutely nowhere...then he seemed perplexed that they wouldn't come when he found "treats" in the feeder. They gave him a look like..."blank you, weirdo".

Quote:
LOL I know what you mean! Seriously...like the little chick I've discovered in my bunch...I just want to ask: what are you really going to do if I decide to turn predator?
lol.png

I am with Columbian Critter here - They do try and find the highest spot - But I have noticed something that maybe a chick rooster trait and maybe not >>>>

I have a couple of 4 day old chicks who look like they are going through the motions of crowing ie stretching out their necks and opening their mouths in a crowing action - Has any one else experienced this ??

Regards
Dr Rob.

Your tiniest runt BR is the biggest only 3 days later.
2 inches taller than pullets at 3 weeks.
Tail MIA compared to girls.
"Freindliest" or most aggressive, depending on your perspective.
Legs as thick as pencils on day 7. Big yellow feet, huge.
He advances instead of retreats when a pullet protests being picked up.
His face looks just like Lt. Worf from Star Trek.
Your coal blackest baby BR sprouts really wide barring faster than anybody and is grayer in week 2.
His body looks much shorter.
He is first to jump out door to explore the world.
You remember: I forgot to make sure his legs AND feet had LOTS of black on them (for BR).
You hadn't yet read: "novices are fooled by a clean headspot followed by "frosting" on back of head".

\\

Back
Top Bottom