1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You should have warned me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Country Parson, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I believe the Incubating/Hatching section has a moral obligation to post warnings to those considering incubating eggs. Something similar to the FDA mandating warning labels on cigarettes. Both are equally addicting!

I can't sleep. I find myself getting up at night to monitor the temp & humidity levels. I've made a chart graphing the highs/lows and a map of the incubator noting how various placements & other changes affect levels. Yesterday my wife put some rules down limiting the amount of times I can call home from work asking her to check the levels for me (she told me only once per day).

The sad thing is that I'm only on day two!

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Ha Ha Ha, you are so right. My first several time incubating I was the same way. Dreaming about hatching, hardly sleeping, reading on BYC constantly to make sure I was doing everything right.

A few small fluctuations in the humidity level shouldn't matter all that much, what kind of incubator are you using? Hope the best to you.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

Unacceptable ..

[​IMG]

4. Country Parson

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    A home-built cooler incubator.

5. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Is it holding steady or are there lots of fluctuations in the temp and humidity? A little shouldn't hurt, but I would be nervous for drastic changes.

6. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

That's so funny...it's exactly how it is and it doesn't get any better..it just gets worse during 'lock-down'...

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Dude. If you have been on BYC for like, 10 minutes, you should know we are all addicted. Chicken junkies.

8. Country Parson

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Temp stays between 99.1 - 102.3. I'm trying to get it even more consistent, but so far this has been the best I've gotten. It's held steady at this level for the past 18 hours or so.

Humidity hoovers in upper 30s to low 40s with little or no effort. I can bump it higher for a few hours by placing a heated wet washcloth. I can lower it by opening vent holes (currently all are covered with electrical tape). I'm still experimenting with this, trying to keep it in the 50s or 60s.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Invest in a Bio-Bator and sleep well... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by