you were right about sexing Silkies (picture)

Silkiefan

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
a big thank you to everyone who tried to help me figure out whether or not I had girls versus boys based on behavior and size. Here is the verdict: The runt, the calmest, the most feminine turned out to be a cockerel. (at 4 months he's crowing like a big boy- FREE TO GOOD HOME BY THE WAY)
The taller, bossy-er and more aloof turned out to be a shy, dainty little gal.
20412_img_0065.jpg

This photo was taken when they were 2 1/2 months old. Now, at almost 4 months, they're much fluffier. Again, thank you to everyone who tried to help me. ----And, again: THE BLACK ONE IS FREE! I can't keep him in city limits, and I can't bring myself to eat my pet. Please contact me if you can take him.

I thought I had a pair-boy & girl. Then one day our boy was sitting in the nest box on an egg
ep.gif

I love my silkies. They are easily the most dignified birds in my flock. Of course, that is not really saying much.

Last edited:
Quote:
NONE! Everyone told me that Silkies were the worst to try to sex- something about their vents being shaped the same between sexes, and I also heard that they don't show differences until... well, like I have been told "they either start crowing or laying eggs".
I found a home for him, but now I have a problem... ONE chicken. Is it true that they absolutely NEED another of their kind or they'll get depressed?

Quote:
I forgot to add that a lot of folks told me to hold them when they were one day old, but the neck skin like a kitten... those that kick and fight are boys, and those that go slack are girls. NOT TRUE.
All in all, it was a sad experiment, and I'm kicking myself for not having gotten three or five. I have a lonely hen now.

Back
Top Bottom