Young Aggression?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gootziecat, Jul 19, 2011.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I have some 6 wk old chicks that I'm wondering if they have aggression that will come on later. These birds will at times come at my offered/extended hand, and it is evident they mean business. It isn't a hello greeting, but I'm unsure if it is a nasty one either, especially considering their age. Those of you that have had lots of experience with youngsters, can you tell me if this usually becomes aggression or meanness later on? Or is this just a "chicken game"?

2. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Sounds to me their looking for goodies. If I put my hand down mine will come rushing up to see if I have a treat for them (or to peck at my wedding ring, the silly things).

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I agree they are getting into a frenzy and charging you while chirping "Food! Food! Food!" If you don't already feed them by hand then go for it. I've a 3 year old that giggles when they miss the food and peck/nip her palm. Good fun and on your way to having birds that come running when you call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by