Young australorp picking at big wound and pulling out feathers

anna p

Chirping
Apr 21, 2019
My parents have a young australorp who just started laying. She was wounded by another chicken (we guess) on her shoulder during the night about a week ago. My parents have been applying an antiseptic and no-peck purple stuff, and she seemed to be healing well. Today she opened the wound to the point of bleeding a lot and now is pulling all her feathers out around the wound. What can we do to help her stop pecking at her wound and to heal? thanks for advice - we are worried and need help! The wounds is big and looks really bad now.

Attachments

• 20210505_154642[1].jpg
    20210505_154642[1].jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210505_154810[1].jpg
    20210505_154810[1].jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 24
Oh wow. That almost looks like a burst abscess or tumor. A pecking injury wouldn't be so blown out like that.

I would do warm compresses to try to get some of the scab off and then see what's happening underneath (pus, infection). Clean the whole area well with betadine, chlorhexidine, or vetericyn, then apply Neosporin and use a wrap to cover it.

She won't leave it alone as long as she can see it. Place the wrap like she has a broken wing (across, then around to cover the area). Change it and clean the wound frequently so it doesn't get infected.

I'll tag @Eggcessive here and see if they have any advice as well.

My parents have a young australorp who just started laying. She was wounded by another chicken (we guess) on her shoulder during the night about a week ago. My parents have been applying an antiseptic and no-peck purple stuff, and she seemed to be healing well. Today she opened the wound to the point of bleeding a lot and now is pulling all her feathers out around the wound. What can we do to help her stop pecking at her wound and to heal? thanks for advice - we are worried and need help! The wounds is big and looks really bad now.

I agree, it does look like a ruptured abscess, cyst or similar.
If vet care is not an option, it would be good to clean the wound out and see what's going on there. Chlorhexidine would be good to use to clean out the crust and pus, any imbedded feathers, etc.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to wound.

If there is a bad odor after it's been cleaned out really well, then an antibiotic would be needed as well. Amoxicillin can be ordered online.

Oh wow. That almost looks like a burst abscess or tumor. A pecking injury wouldn't be so blown out like that.

I would do warm compresses to try to get some of the scab off and then see what's happening underneath (pus, infection). Clean the whole area well with betadine, chlorhexidine, or vetericyn, then apply Neosporin and use a wrap to cover it.

She won't leave it alone as long as she can see it. Place the wrap like she has a broken wing (across, then around to cover the area). Change it and clean the wound frequently so it doesn't get infected.

I'll tag @Eggcessive here and see if they have any advice as well.
Thanks for the reply. The initial wound happened over night. Would an abscess or tumor do that?

I agree, it does look like a ruptured abscess, cyst or similar.
If vet care is not an option, it would be good to clean the wound out and see what's going on there. Chlorhexidine would be good to use to clean out the crust and pus, any imbedded feathers, etc.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to wound.

If there is a bad odor after it's been cleaned out really well, then an antibiotic would be needed as well. Amoxicillin can be ordered online.
Thanks for your help. We have an appointment with the vet.

We took her to the Vet who said pretty much what everybody here suggested. Clean the wound, treat it with a topical antiseptic and give her oral antibiotics. We opted not to give her the oral antibiotics but did apply the salve to the wound. She is healing still and acting like a regular needy hen including laying. I think she will make a full recovery although the wound area won't grow feathers back over the scar area. It's a beauty mark!

Back
Top Bottom