Young bird with huge crop

Tkmlinus

Hatching
Jun 14, 2021
I have been a long time lurker here, this is my first post so thanks in advance. Anyways I have a young bird (9-10 weeks) and her crop doesn't empty and seems quite large. Her crop feels full of liquid. I took her to the avian vet last Friday and she was prescribed oral antibiotic(Clindamycin), oral anti-fungal(fluconazole), and an injectable laxative(metoclopramide). A stool sample was taken, no parasites found, but Clostridium was present. The vet wrapped her crop up quite tight with gauze and an ace wrap. Her crop did get smaller and on Saturday night she managed to pull the wrap over her head so we removed it. Now her crop is back to the same size, it doesn't shrink overnight. She is alert and acting like a normal chicken. My GF wants to take her back to the vet, I am suggesting we make a crop bra and see what happens. Anyways I would love some advice from the experienced chicken keepers here. Thanks again!

(9-10 weeks) and her crop doesn't empty and seems quite large. Her crop feels full of liquid. I took her to the avian vet last Friday and she was prescribed oral antibiotic(Clindamycin), oral anti-fungal(fluconazole), and an injectable laxative(metoclopramide).
You can make your own crop bra according to the article below. You may want to read the whole article and comments as well for treating crop issues.

I would finish the course of treatment that the vet prescribed. Is the chick pooping at all?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You can make your own crop bra according to the article below. You may want to read the whole article and comments as well for treating crop issues.

I would finish the course of treatment that the vet prescribed. Is the chick pooping at all?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
We are planning on making a crop bra. So far she has gotten out of our attempts(we made one with an old cloth mask). She is pooping, they are fairly watery but we have been restricting her food intake. She is acting just fine otherwise and quite upset at being copped in the house alone. Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom