StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I have five 13-week-old Brahma pullets that keep huddling on the floor in a corner of the barn at night. I have put them on their designated roost (~1 foot off the ground) many times and they did use it for maybe a week but went back to sleeping on the floor. It seems they like to sleep underneath each other and they can't do that on the roost. Is this a Brahma thing and will they outgrow it?

During Covid we bought six pullets from the farm store and ordered more from a hatchery. We were planning to raise them together, but due to the demand for chicks in Spring 2020 the ones we ordered didn't come till 6 weeks later. The first 6 pullets refused to roost. The little one started roosting almost as soon as they could fly up to to edges of their brooder and didn't need to stay under the heating pads any longer at night. When they got old enough to merge the two groups together, the little ones taught the older ones to roost. It just takes some of them more time to learn it I guess.

Most likely they just need time, but Brahmas are big girls, is there plenty of room for them to spread their wings to get up and down?

I had a Brahma who never did sleep on the roost, even at a year old, until they were moved to a larger coop with a ramp that she could walk up to get to the roost. She was simply too big to fly well.

That's not likely to be the problem at this age, but something to think about over time.

Most likely they just need time, but Brahmas are big girls, is there plenty of room for them to spread their wings to get up and down?

I had a Brahma who never did sleep on the roost, even at a year old, until they were moved to a larger coop with a ramp that she could walk up to get to the roost. She was simply too big to fly well.

That's not likely to be the problem at this age, but something to think about over time.
Yes, there is plenty of room to fly on and off (it's a 10x12 barn). I placed their roost a foot off the ground since I knew they wouldn't be able to fly well. The other hens (EE and White Rock) roost about 3 feet up. Do you think I should lower the Brahmas' roost even more?

Yes, there is plenty of room to fly on and off (it's a 10x12 barn). I placed their roost a foot off the ground since I knew they wouldn't be able to fly well. The other hens (EE and White Rock) roost about 3 feet up. Do you think I should lower the Brahmas' roost even more?

Sounds like a great setup for them.

They'll figure it out in due time. :)

Back
Top Bottom