Young Broody Hen

When I was a teenager on the farm I hatched and raised thousands of birds but it's been long enough that I'd forgotten just how amazing this whole process is!

It's 5F here in Colorado and I just checked up on momma and brood and her third egg is hatched and dry and healthy. I placed a heat lamp directed towards her and her box and she seemed relieved to have the heat on her. She also has food and water now too so she is all set.

On day 8 I candled all six eggs and only three showed darkening suggesting they were developing. I will check the other three for signs tonight and remove them if there is nothing. That should help seaweed relax a little.

They're all doing great, though. I haven't seen them eat or drink yet but this is their first day on the planet and the world treated them with brutal cold, the poor things. But they would never know it since momma keeps them warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great job Seaweed!!! I am so excited, I was checking on Goldy this morning and a couple of eggs peeped at me!! I had no idea they could/would peep inside the eggs, I was a wonder for sure. I am weak, weak, weak...I swore I was going with mother nature and letting her handle things, then the thermometer hit -3 and were suppose to go to -14 last night, so before I went to bed...I moved Goldy's broody box with her and her eggs into the garage. I thought my husband would protest the move, but he just gave me that, "I knew it was going to happen" smirk and went back to watching Gold Rush. I know the move wasn't necessary for Goldy or the eggs, but this isn't all about them! ;) Good luck Ryan and Seaweed with the rest of the hatch!

Sadly tragedy struck last night. One peep passed when she got stuck between a wood barrier and the nest box. Sad sad. She froze last night and we said our goodbyes today. I modified the nest box and have been checking on the family often to see if they'll exploit any gaps I may have missed. Dang it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly tragedy struck last night. One peep passed when she got stuck between a wood barrier and the nest box. Sad sad. She froze last night and we said our goodbyes today. I modified the nest box and have been checking on the family often to see if they'll exploit any gaps I may have missed. Dang it!

Sometimes, these things happen despite our most careful preparations. I'm sorry you lost one of your chicks. After losing two of my quail babies over the weekend, I feel your pain. :( I hope your other chicks thrive!!

MrsB

Thanks for the encouragement. The two peeps remain healthy dry and happy. In fact, we got from under the intense arctic cold today and I even had to turn off the heat lamp because momma was hot
1f602.png
. Lol.

So good to hear Ryan, good job keeping the babies healthy. We now have our first one and wIting impatiently to meet some more.

Back
Top Bottom