Young Broody Questions

PoultryFanatic22

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2018
California
Hello everyone. Earlier this spring I ordered some chicks from a hatchery and they are almost 7 months now. One of the hens has gone broody and has been on the nest for about a week now. She will get off if I disturb her too much but goes back to the eggs after I leave. I do want to let her hatch some chicks but my question is should I wait till she is a little older? I do have a few roosters in the flock so the eggs she is on right now might be fertile. However, I would like to try letting her hatch some fertile Ancona eggs. Is this a good idea? She is a Japanese bantam. How many would she comfortably be able to sit on. My other question was should I try to break her broodiness and have her start again before swapping in the Anacona eggs. Or replace the chicken eggs and let her start incubating even though she has already been broody for a week. Thanks

My buff hatched when she was 6 months and was a fantastic mother. I only gave her 1 egg to be safe. She was great cuz she was my first broody ever and handled me moving her to a brooder and incessantly checking her. But she wouldn't leave her nest at all. I had to go take her off for bathroom breaks

7 months is old enough. I have had first time broodies do well, and others not.

So typically, I let them hatch cheap/free eggs first. I watch and see how well they sit and how well they mother.

Then, if they go broody again (and batam Japanese likely will), I know their behaviors better and can anticipate when to swap out expensive eggs.

I do not break hens from being broody if I want to ever use them as it teaches them poor brooding skills.

LofMc

3D18A8AC-C885-4291-9846-386781AC1D02.jpeg
I ended up doing a thorough cleaning of the coop today and decided to throw all the eggs away. I’m pretty sure some of the other hens have been adding to her nest. Good news is after cleaning everything the Japanese bantam came back ready to sit on her eggs again. She does not seemed bothered or upset. I actually noticed today my OEGB and D’uccle hens seem to really want to be in the nest boxes a lot. Does broodiness rub off on other hens?

Its contagious in my coop. My buffs got my bcm and polish hen broody this spring. Unreal having 4 broody hens at the same time. Kept me on my toes as none of them would willingly leave their nest. So I was on quadruple potty patrol.

You should collect your eggs every day. I use golf balls in my nest boxes to entice laying in the right spot.
Old eggs in the nests can rot, explode, start your hens the bad habitt of egg eating, and if brooded lead to stagered batch, all not good.
My jap banties brood full size eggs, i usually put 4-5 under her.
Where are you located? May be late in season for chicks.

I’m in Northern California, the coldest it ever really gets in the winter is low 50’s/ high 40’s. I like the idea of letting first time broodies hatch one or two chicks to see how good of a mother they will be and might just try that. If I collect eggs everyday and switch them with golf balls, how long are they typically fertile for? Can I save a few eggs from a favorite hen and then give them back to her when I’m ready for her to sit on the eggs?

Yes, you can save eggs for a week without harming there viability.
Do not wash or refigerate them. Save only clean eggs.
I put mine in an egg carton and tip the carton to alternating side each day to keep yolk in center.
Have a secluded spot for your broody where she will not be disturbed by the others. I have a rabbit cage for mine. 21days later be ready for chicks!
Your banty i expect will be a great mom. Mine have never disapointed me.

Back
Top Bottom