Young Chick 101 - New Beginnings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Young Chick 101, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Young Chick 101

Young Chick 101 New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    Hello There,

I started raising 4 day old chickens and turkeys in April 2013. I had a lot of fun with them - they seem to grow up fast. In September of 2013, some dogs got into our yard and killed all but one of our chickens and 1 turkey. We had our turkey for Thanksgiving - 25 lbs, and I gave my hen away so she would not be lonely since her partner was going to be gone.

We did not raise any animals in 2014, but this year we build a chicken house that is 4' off the ground and surrounded by a 6' tall chain link fence. It is buried 1' deep so outside animals can't dig in and cemented the posts. We only have 8 chickens, but they have been laying since September. I haven't seen any of my chickens displaying rooster traits, so I want to get a rooster and a pair of breeding chickens for their meat. I was thinking about raising some specific breeds also, like Ameraucana

Our next project will be building a Turkey house, so we can raise a pair of breeding turkeys.

I am still green around the ears, I am always looking things up on the internet. I am thinking about getting some game hens also.

I also wouldn't mind some miniature goats and ponys. We have lots of land. I thought about ducks, but they are pretty messsy - husband not liking the idea. I think malards would be cool though.

I started a small garden late into the season, but we are getting squash, radishes and lettuce. Tomato plants are blooming, but no tomatoes yet. Bell peppers are blooming and we also have baby bell peppers growing from the blooms. I am NEWWW at gardening, but I got a real thrill out of it when every thing started growing. My husband said it was too late in the season, but I proved him wrong. We even have 3' to 4' high Sunflowers that were grown from seed. Every thing grew faster planting it outside, instead of starting it inside. So, next time I am going to plant real early and use the frost blankets to protect them. There is always at least one extra freeze that happens before Spring truely comes.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your loss to the dogs. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. :eek:( If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to check out the predators threads for suggestions on repelling predators from the ground, trees, sky and neighbors yards. Sometimes a few strands of electrified fencing can change a dogs mind about visiting your chickens.

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. Young Chick 101

Young Chick 101 New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    Thank you for the advice on the Learning Center and Repelling Predators. Some of you guys have some pretty cool animations going there.

8. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi!![​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!

9. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Oh my, you are ambitious. Sounds like your on your way to a happy farm. You said you are a little green so would like to offer some friendly advice. Don't worry you don't have to follow any of it, just want to give you something to think about based on some my personal experience from when I was younger.

* Chickens are a great start !!!

* If you get turkeys to breed then make sure they are Heritage Breeds in order to mate. Commercial type breeds have to be artificially inseminated.

* Ducks are messy, but are soooo much fun to watch. They really are a delight. The eggs are large and wonderful.

* You did a great job of making sure that the birds are safe from dogs. Do know that there are other predators that can climb fences (raccoons for example which are also great at picking all sorts of hasps and gate closures). So if you have any in your area an electric wire around the outside of the fences is an extra layer of protection. In my area I have to worry about (long list): Raccoons, Opossums, Skunks, Foxes, Coyotes, Owls, Hawks, Eagles, and stray cats and dogs - but don't let all that scare you.

* If you're also thinking about other critters (goats, ponies), don't bite off more than you can chew too soon. Start small and add to it slowly. That way you can dedicate more time to learning about what you have, learn how to deal with any issues that will arise, and learn about what you going to add so you're prepared for what you will need.

* Gardening is always a learning experience. I generally plant the day of the last average frost date (here it is April 15). Lost too many plants to frostbite when the forecast didn't call for it and it happened anyway so never got the plants covered. But gardening is an evolutionary experience - always something new every year. Nothing can compare to homegrown veggies - YUM !

Congratulations on your successful garden !!

Just like anything in life there are ups and downs and you learn to adapt and celebrate when it comes to the farm life. Wouldn't trade my farm life for anything - It's wonderful !!! Just take baby steps so you can learn and grow along with your farm.

As always - You always can turn to the forums when you need advice or share your successes [​IMG] .

10. Young Chick 101

Young Chick 101 New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    Thank you very much. I will go slow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by