Young Chick Limping

kcscrapper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Maybe someone can help me? I have a baby chick limping..I can't see anything wrong with his/her leg...And he/she won't eat..It is eating grass when it isn't laying down in the shade...And it did drink some water when i afford it to him/her...I am new to having chickens..I don't have a clue what to do for it...Thank you for any help..

Ellen

How old is it? It might be a vitamin B or E deficiency. You could try getting some polyvisol infant vitamins and give your chick a few drops a day.

Check her feet, too. When my chicken suddenly stopped standing up or moving, I looked at her feet, and saw a broken toenail. Once the broken part was removed, she did just fine. Also look for any signs of bumblefoot, or any sores or wounds.

Hope this helps!

He/she is about 5 months old..I checked its leg and foot for any kind of sore or wound but didn't see any...It's nails look good...Whats is bumblefoot? I will try the vitamins as you sugested for all the chicks...Thank you... :)

He/she is about 5 months old..I checked its leg and foot for any kind of sore or wound but didn't see any...It's nails look good...Whats is bumblefoot? I will try the vitamins as you sugested for all the chicks...Thank you... :)
Bumblefoot is an infection in the foot pad. It would cause swelling and a scab on the bottom of the foot.

It is possible that your bird has a disease called Marek's Disease. This disease causes paralysis of the wings and/or legs, and can affect birds of all ages. It often first appears as limping, but progresses further. Most hatcheries vaccinate for this disease. Do you know if yours has been vaccinated?

No my young chicks have not been vacinated they where hatched by a friend of ours..Our friend gave them to us when they where about 4 days old...

We checked the young chick out and it appears he torn a tendion in his leg..Going to put him in a cage for a few days so he can't run or do much of anything with his leg...

Back
Top Bottom