Young chick with leg/foot problems

RunningRiot

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
North Carolina
Hello all,

I am new to chicken keeping and this is my first hatch from an incubator. I have an Ayam Cemani chick that could not walk after 8 hours in the incubator. I have been told she has splayed leg or curled toes, but I'm starting to suspect that is not the case. As you can see in the picture, her leg is not straight like the other. Even when I try to gently stretch it out, it's twisted almost like it's broken or did not grow correctly. It doesn't seem to bother her when I turn it slightly to make it look straight with the other leg, but I know she has some control over it. It doesn't seem like much. Her foot is also closed and twisted. I have tried a "handcuff" style splint for splayed leg and little shoe for her toes for two days, and she's not making any progress. I've also been giving her vitamin E since Tuesday for her wry neck. She has to be given water and food by hand, and she spends most of her time laying on her side or flailing around like a new born. I have a real soft spot for this girl, so I'll do whatever I can if she can live a normal life...but if I've misdiagnosed her problem, I'm running out of time to correct it. What do y'all think?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_145527_1.jpg
    IMG_20200707_145527_1.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200707_145538_3.jpg
    IMG_20200707_145538_3.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 9
Hello all,

I am new to chicken keeping and this is my first hatch from an incubator. I have an Ayam Cemani chick that could not walk after 8 hours in the incubator. I have been told she has splayed leg or curled toes, but I'm starting to suspect that is not the case. As you can see in the picture, her leg is not straight like the other. Even when I try to gently stretch it out, it's twisted almost like it's broken or did not grow correctly. It doesn't seem to bother her when I turn it slightly to make it look straight with the other leg, but I know she has some control over it. It doesn't seem like much. Her foot is also closed and twisted. I have tried a "handcuff" style splint for splayed leg and little shoe for her toes for two days, and she's not making any progress. I've also been giving her vitamin E since Tuesday for her wry neck. She has to be given water and food by hand, and she spends most of her time laying on her side or flailing around like a new born. I have a real soft spot for this girl, so I'll do whatever I can if she can live a normal life...but if I've misdiagnosed her problem, I'm running out of time to correct it. What do y'all think?

Thank you!
If the shoe, splint, and Vit. E haven't helped her...

I worry that too much is wrong with her.

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom