Young cockerel with tail down

Emily94

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
I have a young cockerel (I believe) who is 10 weeks old and was born blind in one eye the lady I got him from told me it was from the egg turner failing. I have noticed the last couple days he hasn't wanted to leave the coop and go outside with his other chickens and his tail has been down. He has been eating and drinking regularly but I'm concerned he may be feeling unwell. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem or am I being paranoid?

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_181645.jpg
    IMG_20200923_181645.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 15
Just to add I did have another cockerel pass away on Tuesday who I had sent in for a necropsy immediately who was found to be emaciated which I was told as long as all my other birds feel like a healthy weight it was due to being bullied by the other birds as there was no sign of anything else... This group lives in another coop so I don't believe now that I received the preliminary report on that bird it could be linked but now I'm worried it could be something contagious as I am still waiting for the lab results for the final report.

Last edited:
I have a young cockerel (I believe) who is 10 weeks old and was born blind in one eye the lady I got him from told me it was from the egg turner failing. I have noticed the last couple days he hasn't wanted to leave the coop and go outside with his other chickens and his tail has been down. He has been eating and drinking regularly but I'm concerned he may be feeling unwell. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem or am I being paranoid?
You know... some rooster breeds have downed tails like that, the black Sumatra does.
Is he a mix, he looks like he has furry feet?

Ooh, nice!
Does he act sickly?

He had a brief moment of weakness on Tuesday after the one passed as I kicked everyone out of their coops to do a deep clean but he perked up and was walking around fine with the others so I thought I could've just rudely awaken him when I kicked him out to clean. Not sure though, I am just on alert after losing the one bird and I don't want to lose anyone else.

The coop he is in only has two other birds with him (one a week younger who I'm unsure of the sex, and a pullet who is very motherly to both who is 14 weeks).

However when they are out of the coops all the birds are together so I thought it could be due to the fact that someone ruffled his feathers while they were all out together.

Still just wondering if it could be anything else I really need to be worried about health wise as I feel he is content in his coop with the two other chickens 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom