Young cockerels- is it worth it to raise & butcher? Are there other options?

Could they be butchered and used like tiny Cornish game hens? (How DO they clean those things out, anyways?) Or even as dog food? Or chicken food?
Yes to all of those.

Some people butcher Coturnix Quail (adult live weight often about 6 ounces). If you are dealing with very small chickens, you might look for threads on butchering and cooking quail.

There can be shortcut processing methods that save time as compared with the "usual" methods. For example, if you intend to cut the bird up anyway, you can cut it wide open to get the guts out (much easier than trying to work through a small hole.)

I know you said you do not want it, but if you have the space you could make it into a show rooster. They can make you money if they win, and they make good money at auctions. Someone I know sold theirs for $1000 at an auction once. Just a suggestion.
This would only work if the rooster is show quality.
Yes, bury deep and well.
Two feet down, at least, so that raccoons or other animals won't be able to smell it and dig it up.

I did this in my garden. The plants that grew in that spot grew VERY well. A carcass has a LOT of nutrients to add back into the soil.

This would only work if the rooster is show quality.

Two feet down, at least, so that raccoons or other animals won't be able to smell it and dig it up.

I did this in my garden. The plants that grew in that spot grew VERY well. A carcass has a LOT of nutrients to add back into the soil.
Yup, I had a big pile when I did it and dug a hole to bury them. Also, the blood bucket gets dumped in the compost too.

Do you feel that 12 weeks is the earliest you can butcher them? Have you ever had trouble cleaning them out? The last cockerel we did I could barely get my hand inside. He was around 18-20 weeks.
Usually I stick to 12 weeks or later if I’m using them for meat. That’s usually the time the cockerels are starting to harass the hens and it’s time for them to go. The only notable exception I had was one Leghorn-mix cockerel who started trying to mount hens at 9 weeks old, so he went to freezer camp early.

It depends on the breed but I have small hands and usually don’t have much problem cleaning them. Orpingtons and larger breeds have more room inside so it’s easier. Leghorns and other Mediterraneans are small no matter how old they get. If you want a good size skeleton, Jersey Giants are great but of course they grow muscle more slowly and won’t produce as much meat.

Do you make bone broth or your own stock? I have butchered bantam cockerels and a cockerel that was 5 weeks because he became a nightmare. They all made great bone broth!
I did make stock this last go round (not bone, I’ve never done that). But I like this idea. How would you go about making bone broth? I’m still unclear about how to clean out a small bird, though. I’ve only processed birds twice so I’m still a novice.

I’m still unclear about how to clean out a small bird, though. I’ve only processed birds twice so I’m still a novice.
Some processing ideas for a small bird:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-process-your-quail-including-gory-pictures.75834/

Here is an article that talks about processing quail, with photos. It lists several methods. I see a photo with one finger reaching into the body cavity to get out the guts, and a different photo with the body cut open down the back for easy access (that is in the section labeled "spatchcocking.")

I did make stock this last go round (not bone, I’ve never done that). But I like this idea. How would you go about making bone broth? I’m still unclear about how to clean out a small bird, though. I’ve only processed birds twice so I’m still a novice.
It’s fairly the same as making stock only you want to simmer the bones until they basically start to fall apart. I fill up my giant stock pot with water and the carcass along with whatever you usually like to add to stock. For mine when I am butchering I save the heart, neck and liver to add into the bone broth pot. I also like to bundle fresh rosemary, thyme and sage sprigs tied together with unbleached cotton twine. I then bring to a boil then once boiling I turn the stove to low and allow to simmer all day. I turn it off a few hours before bed and let it cool. Some people like to go up to 24 hours with it, but at the 12 hour mark for me usually the bones are mushy and the joints have turned from hard to jelly. If you don’t want to do the long simmer process you can also just use a pressure cooker. With mine the bones are cooked down usually at the 3 hour mark.

Could they be butchered and used like tiny Cornish game hens? (How DO they clean those things out, anyways?) Or even as dog food? Or chicken food?

If there’s really no way to use them until butchering age, my next question is at what age do you separate them from the pullets? And what do you feed them that helps them bulk up and is preferably cheaper than all flock feed?

To answer in order.

-- No they will be too small and scrawny. Their genetics and body shape are nothing like cornish game hens. If you are adventurous, you might kill and toss whole to your dogs. My dogs, at least, will kill and eat wild quail.

-- I don't separate them from the flock. I leave them there until the they make a nuisance of themself . Usually anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks. At that point I butcher and find them big enough to be worth the effort. For me at least. I like a 3 lb heritage bird and find it preferable to me in taste and texture than supermarket chicken.

-- There really isn't anything you can feed them to bulk them up. To save money, feel free to give them any non harmful table scraps, yard weeds, etc., to supplement regular chicken feed.

Good luck with this all. There is no right answer, only for what is best for you.

Back
Top Bottom