Young doe- was she in heat?

In case they are pregnant, I suggest not giving them any grain. If you are doing so now, slowly wean them off it by giving less and less each day. The grain will go mostly to the kid(s) and they may grow too big for an easy pregnancy. I made this mistake on my very first, first fresheners. One had twins and the buckling was pretty big and she had trouble with him. I think it's less important with large does or ones that have already freshened. But for your does, the smaller the kids the better.

If you give them free choice good quality hay/alfalfa and vitamins/minerals, dam and kid(s) should get everything they need. Even if they aren't pregnant, cutting grain won't hurt anything. Personally, I only give grain to does in milk.

In case they are pregnant, I suggest not giving them any grain. If you are doing so now, slowly wean them off it by giving less and less each day. The grain will go mostly to the kid(s) and they may grow too big for an easy pregnancy. I made this mistake on my very first, first fresheners. One had twins and the buckling was pretty big and she had trouble with him. I think it's less important with large does or ones that have already freshened. But for your does, the smaller the kids the better.

If you give them free choice good quality hay/alfalfa and vitamins/minerals, dam and kid(s) should get everything they need. Even if they aren't pregnant, cutting grain won't hurt anything. Personally, I only give grain to does in milk.
If a doe has a heavy load of kids not giving grain can cause ketosis or pregnancy toxemia. When I had my dairy my pregnant does all got at least some grain. In fact refusing to eat her grain ration is one of the first signs of ketosis.

If a doe has a heavy load of kids not giving grain can cause ketosis or pregnancy toxemia. When I had my dairy my pregnant does all got at least some grain. In fact refusing to eat her grain ration is one of the first signs of ketosis.
If OP suspects the doe has multiple kids and ketosis becomes a concern, OP can start giving grain again in the last six weeks of pregnancy.

The last six to eight weeks is when grain should be given. However I fed grain to all my young stock throughout their pregnancies. How much they got depended a lot on what breed they were, how old they were and their body condition. I didn't have pygmies but I don't think I would have given grain to them because they tend to get too fat if given a chance. A goat that is too fat is prone to ketosis also.

Thanks everyone for your help and input! I currently give them about a half cup of grain each day and will work on weaning them off completely, they do have alfalfa and minerals free choice. I have been having a hard time keeping them out of the chicken coops so they have accidentally gotten chicken feed once or twice but have made sure they don't have access now. Up to date on shots and had copper boluses in October. I did order a Bacchus shield for my buckling and he is wearing it now in case they are not pregnant (has anyone used one with success?) I am keeping an eye out for signs of heat returning for the next couple weeks. Anything else I should do? Would it be worth it to get a blood test done on the girls?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help and input! I currently give them about a half cup of grain each day and will work on weaning them off completely, they do have alfalfa and minerals free choice. I have been having a hard time keeping them out of the chicken coops so they have accidentally gotten chicken feed once or twice but have made sure they don't have access now. Up to date on shots and had copper boluses in October. I did order a Bacchus shield for my buckling and he is wearing it now in case they are not pregnant (has anyone used one with success?) I am keeping an eye out for signs of heat returning for the next couple weeks. Anything else I should do? Would it be worth it to get a blood test done on the girls?
You should definitely get a blood test done if possible. It usually doesn’t cost too much, and that way you know for sure if you can expect babies in a few months :)

Goats heat only lasts 12-24 hours, so if you didn’t notice it that might be it, im not sure why it’d look green, could also be a discharge or something like that, I’m new to female goats, I only have one ten month old doeling that can’t be bred without getting injured and a Wether

Back
Top Bottom