Young duck sick

This is good info to bookmark
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
If you could bring her inside so you can monitor her eating drinking and pooping [it's always good to see what their poop is looking like. ]
here is info on Baytril https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Thank you, that is helpful! I was encouraged to see she didn't look as shut down when I went out just now. She still didn't look well but she was walking around with her buddies and even doing some head bobbing.

Thank you. She's been eating chick starter. It doesn't look mouldy and it is stored inside out of the wet. She has a wooded yard to run in so eating something toxic is a possibility. I gave her supplemental powdered niacin in water when she was younger.

It's been anywhere from 90-100 degrees here, but today was on the cooler side and she's definitely acting different from the other ducks.

I'm not sure if she's laying yet because she moved in with the other ducks at 4 months old so I don't know whose eggs are whose. I did get a couple of tiny eggs recently so they could have been from her or my other young duck.

I have 2 drakes, one is a year old and pretty much leaves her alone but still has access to her, and the other is her own age and has mated her.
I know for my birds I switch them from starter to grower between 2-3 weeks
Then if they are female I give layer feed in the pen as they are separate at night. I also have crushed oyster shells in a bowl both outside and in their pen at all times to help with calcium for laying
My girls all started to lay around 4.5 months old
But each duck is different
It’s been really warm here for a few days and I’m finding mine are just not as active
I asked about the mate stuff cause sometimes the girl can get hurt when they start as they don’t know how to fully get in position
I have had a few females get a limp after they first start and had to keep them separate for a few days to recover
But then all was good and hasn’t happened since

I know for my birds I switch them from starter to grower between 2-3 weeks
Then if they are female I give layer feed in the pen as they are separate at night. I also have crushed oyster shells in a bowl both outside and in their pen at all times to help with calcium for laying
My girls all started to lay around 4.5 months old
But each duck is different
It’s been really warm here for a few days and I’m finding mine are just not as active
I asked about the mate stuff cause sometimes the girl can get hurt when they start as they don’t know how to fully get in position
I have had a few females get a limp after they first start and had to keep them separate for a few days to recover
But then all was good and hasn’t happened since
I don't know what it was, but she seems better this morning and was eating breakfast :D . The sudden change in her behavior worried me but it doesn't seem to be anything serious. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom