Young hen doesn't lay

EchoLakeHens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
My hens just don't lay eggs. I don't know if they are deficient in something or what. I have a rhode island red that is about 2 and half years old and lays about one egg a year now. I have an Americauna that is about the same age and lays in stages. She goes several months without laying anything then will lay for about a week. I also have a 9 month old Wellsummer that started to lay eggs at about 5 months old and stopped after a couple weeks. I'm just not sure why the younger one stopped laying and hasn't done anything since that one time.

There are several defects or problems that sometimes happen that cause them not to lay or to stop laying, though it seems odd that all yours would have one of these problems. The one that is 2 1/2 years old isn't likely to lay daily any more, but mine of that age range mostly lay eveyr other day. Actually, when egg laying stops and starts, I think it's more likely that they are hiding eggs somewhere, maybe trying to hatch a clutch, or you have a predator or predators that like to eat eggs. When my production drops dramatically, it usually means I have to find the rat snake who is eating them. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers/0_20

Back
Top Bottom