Young hen eating feathers she finds on ground

ALH66

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Missouri
Good Morning all ! I have a pullet that has been eating any feathers she finds on ground . So my question is there a reason she's doing this ? She's the lowest on pecking order and I've never seen her peck at the others. She is about 14 weeks old. I only have 4 in their large fenced yard , on grower feed, mealworms and veggies. Is she lacking something that I'm missing ?

Is she getting enough to eat? Those lowest in the order sometimes get bullied away from the feeders. Lack of protein will have them eating feathers. And feather eating becomes a bad habit as well. I'd add another feeder just in case and definitely try and pick up stray feathers when you can.

Good Morning all ! I have a pullet that has been eating any feathers she finds on ground . So my question is there a reason she's doing this ? She's the lowest on pecking order and I've never seen her peck at the others. She is about 14 weeks old. I only have 4 in their large fenced yard , on grower feed, mealworms and veggies. Is she lacking something that I'm missing ?
Feathers have a high percentage of protein in them; it can be one of the reasons behind feather plucking and eating when food is in short supply.
I don't think given the circumstances you've mentioned that it's anything to worry about as long as she isn't picking them off another hen.
You could check and make sure she isn't getting bullied away from the feed given she the most junior.

Thank you for your fast reply. She is the smallest of them , so I will keep an eye out to see if she's being run off from food. Thank you again !

Is she getting enough to eat? Those lowest in the order sometimes get bullied away from the feeders. Lack of protein will have them eating feathers. And feather eating becomes a bad habit as well. I'd add another feeder just in case and definitely try and pick up stray feathers when you can.
Thanks for your reply. I have been picking up the feather this morning but guess I missed one. They have a large feeder, but will add another. When I give treats I try very hard to make sure she gets her share. Thank you I will try all your suggestions 😊

Personally I don't have a problem with them eating feathers just flying around. If she were picking feathers off of another chicken I'd feel differently, but one that is just taking advantage of an available food source is not a concern to me. At 14 weeks it sounds like you have one of some going through a juvenile molt. That's why you are seeing those feathers flying around.

Personally I don't have a problem with them eating feathers just flying around. If she were picking feathers off of another chicken I'd feel differently, but one that is just taking advantage of an available food source is not a concern to me. At 14 weeks it sounds like you have one of some going through a juvenile molt. That's why you are seeing those feathers flying around.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. You solved the feather question I was having, I kinda thought after they lost their baby fuzz that they wouldn't lose any till time to molt. But that has really pretty much stopped now. I'm watching to make sure she gets her fair share of food and treats.
I really appreciate this site and all the helpful people ☺️

Back
Top Bottom