Young hen found on coop floor tonight

James_in_Utah

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Hi,
I have a young buff orp hen, about 25 weeks old, who I found on the coop floor tonight. When I picked her up, I noticed she was very very light, especially compared to her two sisters. One of the sisters started laying about 3 weeks ago, but then again she was just a little older. The younger two haven't started laying. I brought the one into the garage to isolate her. Her crop feels empty. Not really sure how to check if she is egg bound. Any suggestions on how to nurse her back to health would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Hi,
I have a young buff orp hen, about 25 weeks old, who I found on the coop floor tonight. When I picked her up, I noticed she was very very light, especially compared to her two sisters. One of the sisters started laying about 3 weeks ago, but then again she was just a little older. The younger two haven't started laying. I brought the one into the garage to isolate her. Her crop feels empty. Not really sure how to check if she is egg bound. Any suggestions on how to nurse her back to health would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

She needs to be some place warm with food and water in front of her. I doubt your garage is warm enough.

I have her in a small cage in the garage, covered with towels. It's about 65 degrees in there now. I can put a small space heater on her if she needs it to be warmer than that. Are you thinking she's egg bound? How can I tell?

I just went out and checked on her. She's up, and is eating some of the starter. Her eyes don't look clear and bright. Her poop is very runny. She doesn't look very alert, but she is standing.

I just tried giving her some oatmeal, and some fresh greens. She wasn't interested at all. Her sister just laid her first egg this morning. It was huge. Maybe this girl in the garage is egg bound. Calling my vet.

Feel her belly, if there's an egg lodged you can actually feel it in there.

To me though, it sounds like she's having a parasite problem. Weight loss is from malnutrition

If she were mine I would:

01) Do thorough exam.
02) Weigh.
03) Dust with poultry dust for mites/lice even if I couldn't see any.
04) Deworm with Safeguard for Goats (Fenbendazol) at .5cc/kg.
05) Tube feed if not eating and drinking normal amounts.
06) Inspect poop and maybe start treatment for coccidiosis with Corid.

During this treatment, mine would be housed in a warm place away from other chickens and have access to food and water.

Back
Top Bottom