Young Hen Leg Atrophy - Please Advise

hudsonranch

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
We bought a place back in July 2014. In Sept we got our (first ever) chickens. Lost a few to respiratory infection, nursed two of the young chicks back to health. One of the ones we nursed back, I noticed last weekend (1-9-15) that she was not putting weight on her right leg. I would fall out from under her when she walked, but she could still at that time, still stand. I did not see anything noticeably wrong. We assumed she may have pulled a muscle. Here is what I saw at that time: where the tibia and metatarsus meet, that joint....when she walked, it folded sometimes, as if that joint was weak or muscle was giving out....but again she was still able to stand but with a walk/limp. Today my husband noticed she was not doing anything but sitting. The entire foot of the right leg is now atrophied and "clawed up" as if (thinking of a human) your fingers were curled up into a fist. She is not walking at all. She is however, eating and drinking if you put some in front of her. She is my most favorite of our chickens. Called the vet $60 for an exam + treatment. Normally that is NOT an issue but we have set aside $ for our three horses (which have been boarded for almost a year now) to be FINALLY moved to our place this weekend. Money is tied up in them at the moment. I am afraid with the atrophy the leg will be lost. Her leg is not discolored, so its is getting blood to it. Just is curled up. ANY suggestions? Gosh I don't want to lose her or have to have her put down or something. IDEAS?? Anyone here a VET?? Advise would be VERY appreciated.

Concerned.....
Her name is Gracie.

Thanks.
Hudson Ranch

Last edited:
I am thinking we should try to splint her leg?! Anyone ever experience this? She seems very healthy otherwise.

We bought a place back in July 2014. In Sept we got our (first ever) chickens. Lost a few to respiratory infection, nursed two of the young chicks back to health. One of the ones we nursed back, I noticed last weekend (1-9-15) that she was not putting weight on her right leg. I would fall out from under her when she walked, but she could still at that time, still stand. I did not see anything noticeably wrong. We assumed she may have pulled a muscle. Here is what I saw at that time: where the tibia and metatarsus meet, that joint....when she walked, it folded sometimes, as if that joint was weak or muscle was giving out....but again she was still able to stand but with a walk/limp. Today my husband noticed she was not doing anything but sitting. The entire foot of the right leg is now atrophied and "clawed up" as if (thinking of a human) your fingers were curled up into a fist. She is not walking at all. She is however, eating and drinking if you put some in front of her. She is my most favorite of our chickens. Called the vet $60 for an exam + treatment. Normally that is NOT an issue but we have set aside $ for our three horses (which have been boarded for almost a year now) to be FINALLY moved to our place this weekend. Money is tied up in them at the moment. I am afraid with the atrophy the leg will be lost. Her leg is not discolored, so its is getting blood to it. Just is curled up. ANY suggestions? Gosh I don't want to lose her or have to have her put down or something. IDEAS?? Anyone here a VET?? Advise would be VERY appreciated. Concerned..... Her name is Gracie. Thanks. Hudson Ranch
Gracie looks very much like a rooster. In fact, I'm 99% sure of that. As far as the leg goes, it can be a vitamin deficiency or disease. I don't think much can be done if it is a disease causing the problem, so you can at least try supplementing their water or feed with a vitamin mineral supplement. Not sure, but I think it is usually a B vitamin that may be lacking? You could try that for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement. You can usually find these in the feed stores or online poultry stores. Btw, I'm not a vet. :)

Last edited:
New to the chicken world, so what makes her look like a rooster? LOL
No idea what to look for....ha. Assumed since the ones she was with I was TOLD were GIRLS that she is a hen.

I have been putting in their water extra vitamins and electrolytes for a few months now (since the respiratory infection spread) and was advised to keep it in their water (they can go to plain water when they are outside during the day) hmmmmm, what extra vitamins should I try?

Was thinking splinting her (his?) leg to just 'see' if that helped??

She (he?) is really TALL and much bigger than the others (all girls, as the rest all lay)

Can chickens learn to live with ONE leg?

New to the chicken world, so what makes her look like a rooster?  LOL
No idea what to look for....ha.  Assumed since the ones she was with I was TOLD were GIRLS that she is a hen.  

I have been putting in their water extra vitamins and electrolytes for a few months now (since the respiratory infection spread) and was advised to keep it in their water (they can go to plain water when they are outside during the day) hmmmmm, what extra vitamins should I try?

Was thinking splinting her (his?) leg to just 'see' if that helped??

She (he?) is really TALL and much bigger than the others (all girls, as the rest all lay)

Can chickens learn to live with ONE leg? 

It looks very much like an Easter egger chicken. With these the pea comb on the males is generally larger than the female as that one is. Also, I can see sickle feathers on the tail. Pointy saddle feathers on the back and sickle feathers on the tail are male attributes, not females. They are sure signs of a male bird. These feathers usually don't show up until about three to four months of age.

There are respiratory illnesses that can cause lameness, MS comes to mind. There are several things that can cause lameness, Mareks being one. I really don't think a splint will help cure him, but if you think it might help him get around better you can sure try. Sometimes they do get better or adjust, sometimes not.

Here is a link with information on diseases, their symptoms and possible treatments. It is very hard to determine what a chicken could be afflicted with since so many of the illnesses have the same symptoms. But it's worth the read. Also a link showing dosage and treatment options.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

If you can’t take her to the vet, or him, I would try massaging her leg once or twice a day. I would also soak her leg in a warm Epson salt bath and manipulate the joints. Move her leg like she’s riding a bicycle to include all the muscles of the leg and hip. I would also increase her protein in her/his diet. I’ve been a Massage Therapist for 17 years and it’s amazing how healing massage can be both physically, emotionally and psychologically. I also have a rooster that we thought was a hen when he was little. He will only come to the name Baby Girl. He’s a giant journey so it’s pretty funny. Good luck with Gracie.

Back
Top Bottom