Young hen lethargic, eliminating clear fluid, not eating

Speechleslie

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight
Lavender Ameraucana 6 months, ~3 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Yesterday fine, ate worms out of garden Tends to be spunky, social, active. I call her a puppy chicken.
This morning she became lethargic and just sits with feathers puffed up. Not eating or drinking, empty crop.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just today, but seems to be feeling worse with time

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I’ve given her water with a syringe snd a small amount of eggs. I also gave her 1 mL of Poultry Nutradrench

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Hasn’t pooped yet / has passed clear liquid

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Poultry Nutridrench, water by syringe, tried scrambled egg, palpating around her vent , below her crop. She is standing, not sitting, in a hard plastic dog crate up on a table.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? If it’s advisable, I’d like to treat her. I’d like others thoughts on if Ishould get her to a vet!

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Pictures attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings in coop. Roofed pen has sand and mowed hay.

Attachments

• BE2B4C62-9A0B-4B8C-8028-41E1D1B4237F.jpeg
    BE2B4C62-9A0B-4B8C-8028-41E1D1B4237F.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 84C0FB2C-9AB5-4D53-938E-15D735859B48.jpeg
    84C0FB2C-9AB5-4D53-938E-15D735859B48.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 0F6DBAAF-4770-4225-9E22-A58DBA95AB37.jpeg
    0F6DBAAF-4770-4225-9E22-A58DBA95AB37.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 9
Has she ever laid eggs? What does her crop feel like—empty, full, firm, or puffy? Can you check it again in early morning before she eats or drinks after doing without those during the night? If you pick up can you tell if she has lost weight? If you could have your vet do a fecal float on some fresh droppings, that could rule out worms and coccidiosis.

Thank you for responding! Her crop is soft. She is swallowing okay. Would worms show in her stool? There’s no blood or unusual aspect since she ate some scrambled egg.

She is standing instead of sitting as she sleeps, is that normal? I left water and newly cooked steel cut oatmeal in the crate.

I will update tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!

Has she ever laid eggs? What does her crop feel like—empty, full, firm, or puffy? Can you check it again in early morning before she eats or drinks after doing without those during the night? If you pick up can you tell if she has lost weight? If you could have your vet do a fecal float on some fresh droppings, that could rule out worms and coccidiosis.
I forgot to add, yes she lays pretty pale blue mini eggs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 9
Great Update. The Poultry Nutri-Drench seems to have an amazing result. She is eating and drinking normally today. I’m watching as I know chickens are wily 😁; but I am much encouraged!

I dosed the flock and fed them all warm oatmeal snd added bruisers yeast yo their food as it’s moulting time…though the convalescing Ameraucana hadn’t started.

Back
Top Bottom