Young Hen losing patches of feathers.

cadenrupp

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2019
We got six pullets in April of last year and noticed over the last few days that one of them has been losing a lot of her feathers. I know that she’s too young to be molting and there seems to be too many feathers missing for it to be bullying. Also, the majority of feathers she’s losing are coming from the back of her neck. So, I wanted to ask for any thoughts on what might be the cause of this and how to help her recover. :)

Can you share a picture? It very well could be molting. I've had plenty of hens that molted within their first year.
This is the best one I could find:
8A439724-5FD0-4AAE-8F52-3D9352A8D228.jpeg

This is the best one I could find:View attachment 2021505

It's not an area where she could have been picking at herself and it looks like it's starting to fill back in. :) Since you've posted a picture now others will be able to step in if they think it's something else, but I feel it looks like perfectly normal molting to me.

It's not an area where she could have been picking at herself and it looks like it's starting to fill back in. :) Since you've posted a picture now others will be able to step in if they think it's something else, but I feel it looks like perfectly normal molting to me.
Thank you.

I agree, looks like molting! All those little spiky things are pin feathers , and the skin looks very healthy.

Just noticed this morning my 10 month old Wyandotte has suddenly lost feathers in the same spot as well. I posted my very first question here about her a month and a half ago re: she stopped laying. She still isn’t laying, and a trip to vet for a bit of diarrhea (short course antibiotic, negative fecal float test) which resolved quickly, and now the missing neck feathers. Could this be molting?

Back
Top Bottom